The Windows Server 2012 Standard Open License from Microsoft provides a flexible and manageable way to acquire Microsoft software and cloud services. Microsoft offers several volume licensing programs, each tailored to the needs of different sizes of businesses and types of organizations. The Windows Server 2012 Standard edition is licensed following a processor and a Client Access License (CAL). Each license covers up to two physical processors on a single server and each user or device that accesses the server (s) requires a CAL.
The Windows Server 2012 Standard is designed for low density or non-virtualized environments and features full Windows Server functionality with two virtual instances. In addition, Windows Server 2012 captures the experience Microsoft has gained from building and operating public clouds to deliver a highly dynamic and cost-effective server platform for your datacenter and private cloud. It offers businesses and hosting providers a scalable, dynamic and multitenant-aware cloud infrastructure that connects more securely across premises and allows IT to respond to business needs faster and more efficiently.
Windows Server 2012 is an open, scalable and elastic web and application platform. For distributed and mobile workforces, Windows Server 2012 empowers IT to help ensure users' access to their personalized work environment from virtually anywhere. Whether you are an enterprise, a small or medium-sized business, or a hosting provider, Windows Server 2012 will help you cloud optimize your IT.
Windows Server 2012 Standard
- You can choose Windows Server 2012 based on the size of your organization and your requirements for virtualization and cloud computing.
- The Windows Server 2012 Standard delivers excellent economics and ROI (Return on Investment) for your business. For example, Datacenter edition with unlimited virtualization rights provides the benefits of cloud-level scalability with predictable, lower costs. The Windows Server Standard edition offers all the enterprise-class features that you need.
- Businesses today are rapidly adopting a hybrid approach across private and public cloud computing. The Windows Server 2012 Standard is ideal for lightly virtualized environments progressing towards cloud, no matter where you are on your path to the cloud.
Discover Windows Server 2012
- Beyond Virtualization
- Offers a dynamic, multitenant infrastructure to help you scale and secure workloads and build a private cloud.
- Complete Virtualization Platform
- A fully isolated, multitenant environment with tools that can help guarantee service-level agreements, enable usage-based chargeback and support self-service delivery.
- Improved Scalability and Performance
- A high-density, scalable environment that you can modify to perform at an optimum level based on your needs.
- Connecting to Cloud Services
- A common identity and management framework to enable highly secure and reliable cross-premises connectivity.
- Power of Many Servers with the Simplicity of One
- Windows Server 2012 is designed for IT professionals to optimize the cloud while satisfying business needs faster and more efficiently by providing a highly available, easy-to-manage and multi-server platform.
- Flexible Storage
- Offers diverse storage choices that deliver performance, efficiency and innovation while taking advantage of industry-standard hardware.
- Continuous Availability
- Provides cost-effective, highly available services with protection against a wide range of failure scenarios.
- Management Efficiency
- Automates a broader set of management tasks, simplifies deployment of major workloads and provides the path towards full lights-out automation. With Windows Server 2012, you can manage systems better through software-based policy controls, take advantage of tools such as a comprehensive set of the Windows PowerShell command-line interface and scripting language for ubiquitous automation of your server environment and increase the cost efficiency of your private cloud platform.
Windows Server 2012 Opens the Door to
- Every App on Any Cloud
- Windows Server 2012 is a proven application and web platform that includes thousands of applications already built and deployed. It offers the flexibility to build infrastructure across premises on an open, scalable and elastic web and application platform.
- Flexibility to Build On-Premises and in the Cloud
- A consistent set of tools and frameworks enables developers to build symmetrical or hybrid applications across the datacenter and the cloud.
- A Scalable and Elastic Infrastructure
- In addition to advanced features to help you increase website density and efficiency, Windows Server 2012 includes frameworks, services and tools to increase the scalability and elasticity of modern applications.
- An Open Web and App Development Environment
- An open platform that enables mission-critical applications and provides enhanced support for open standards, open-source applications and various development languages.
Windows Server 2012 Enables
- Modern Workstyle
- Provides you with flexible access to data and applications while simplifying management and maintaining security, control and compliance.
- Access to Applications and Data from Virtually Anywhere, Any Device
- Seamless, on-demand access to virtualized work environments from virtually anywhere.
- A Full Windows Experience Anywhere
- A personalized and rich user experience from virtually any device that adapts to different network conditions quickly and responsively.
- Enhanced Data Security and Compliance
- Granular access to data and corporate resources based on strong identity, data classification and centralized policy administration and auditing.
- Server Virtualization
- Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V offers a complete virtualization platform, providing increased scalability and performance with an elastic and flexible solution from the datacenter to the cloud. It's now easier than ever for organizations to realize cost savings from virtualization and to optimize server hardware investments.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in Windows Server 2012 makes it possible for you to access Internet from virtually anywhere on popular devices, providing you a rich Windows experience while ensuring enhanced data security and compliance.
- Windows Server 2012 provides an array of enhanced features that help reduce networking complexity, making it easier to connect users to IT resources, efficiently manage your datacenter and private clouds as well as easily link your infrastructure with public cloud services.
- Access & Information Protection
- Windows Server 2012 makes it easier for administrators to protect corporate resources, build strong data access management and protection as well as simplify the deployment of identity management infrastructure.
- It provides greater efficiency, performance and innovation through diverse storage choices. Advanced features and enhancements for disk, network and storage area network storage solutions provide greater choice and flexibility while ensuring high availability and uptime.
- Server Management and Automation
- Windows Server 2012 offers excellent total cost of ownership as an integrated platform with comprehensive, multi-server manageability that provides increased management efficiency, simplified deployment of servers as well as server roles and resilient automation.
- Web and Application Platform
- Windows Server 2012 provides enormous flexibility through hybrid, symmetrical and web-based applications on-premises and in the cloud, increased scalability and elasticity for applications as well as enhanced support for open frameworks and open source.
- Cost-Effective Infrastructure
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V improves both scalability and performance. It helps you deliver a fully-isolated, multitenant environment that includes tools to help guarantee SLAs, enable charge backs and support self-service scenarios. With Hyper-V Network Virtualization, you can also virtualize your networks and enable software-defined networking. This provides the flexibility to move networks freely within your datacenter or to a hosting provider without reconfiguration. It also provides network isolation among the VMs (virtual machines) running on different virtual networks, enabling multitenant environments. Windows Server 2012 provides advanced storage scenarios which offer high availability on industry-standard server hardware. Make the most of your storage by thin-provisioning and trimming VM storage, pooling diverse storage resource and abstracting them for flexible usage throughout your environment. Use file servers as file-based network storage for application data with high levels of performance and reliability that those scenarios require.
- Modern App Platform
- Windows Server 2012 is a broad, scalable and elastic server platform that gives you the flexibility to build, deploy and manage applications and websites on-premises, in the cloud or in a hybrid environment, using a consistent set of tools and frameworks. Programming consistency and common development tools between Windows Server 2012 and Windows Azure can help ease transition to the cloud, while enabling hybrid applications across on-premises, service provider and Windows Azure clouds. Windows Server 2012 provides frameworks, services and tools to help increase scalability and elasticity for applications that support multitenancy and improve website density and efficiency. This benefits IT professionals in traditional datacenters and helps service providers to more effectively build provision and manage hosting environments. Windows Server 2012 offers enhanced support for open frameworks, open source applications and development languages. Web standards, PHP and node.js are supported, while .NET Framework 4.5 offers features and improvements such as support for asynchronous file operations, web and networking enhancements.
- Anywhere Access
- The modern workstyle is defined by flexibility in how and where users access their data and applications. In Windows Server 2012, centralized desktops and remote access solutions have been made easier to deploy and manage, providing an easier way to give users more secure access to corporate infrastructure. Windows Server 2012 enables a personalized, rich user experience from many more devices while adapting to different network conditions quickly and responsively. Remote users can change locations or devices while maintaining an experience close to that of a laptop or PC, enabling them to maintain their productivity. Windows Server 2012 features intelligent security infrastructure that helps you enhance data security and compliance with granular access to data based on strong identity and device security status. These features also enable flexible and powerful audit rules, which help achieve compliance with applicable regulations.
- Simplicity and Manageability
- With a customizable platform and price advantage for volume purchasing, open programs provide a simple, cost effective way to acquire the Microsoft technology.
- Open Value
- Open Value is a recommended program if you have a small to midsize organization with five or more desktop PCs and want to simplify license management, manage software costs and get better control over your investment. It also includes software assurance, providing access to valuable benefits such as training, deployment planning, software upgrades and product support to help you boost the productivity of your entire organization.
- Open Value Subscription
- Open Value subscription provides lower up-front costs for the open programs with the flexibility to reduce the total licensing costs in years when the desktop PC count declines. This option gives your organization the rights to run the software throughout your organization only during the terms of the agreement with Microsoft. You also have the ability to add a single platform option to an Open Value subscription agreement.
- Open License
- Open License is a great choice if you are a corporate, charitable or government organization that wants to pay as you go. You must have a minimum initial purchase of five software licenses for an Open License agreement, although you can acquire additional licensed products through Open License in any quantity at any time during the two-year agreement term.
With an initial purchase of five or more licenses, you can acquire products as you need them over the term of your agreement. In addition to commercial business, Microsoft offers open programs for the following industries:
- Government organizations
- Health organizations
- Educational institutions
- Qualifying 501 (C) (3) nonprofit organizations
- Multinational organizations
- Government organizations
- Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC)
The Volume Licensing Service Center gives you easy access to:
- Download products and keys
- Access all your licensing information in one location
- View your relationship summary and license summary details
- Review the status of your enrollments
- Activate and consume Software Assurance benefits
- Download products and keys