The PAL 16GB HDR-CX380E HD Handycam Camcorder from Sony is a Full HD 1920 x 1080 video camera that shoots at 50 progressive frames per second and has 16GB of internal flash memory. The camcorder features the BIONZ image processor and a back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor for improved low light sensitivity. The video camera features a Sony G 30x optical zoom lens and Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization system with Active Mode for camera shake reduction. The camera also features both manual focus and a Contrast AF auto focus system that are available through the touch panel feature of the 3.0" flip out LCD.
The camera can automatically create short movies complete with music and transitions using preset configurations. Sony's Direct Copy allows you to copy files from the camera's internal flash memory directly to an external USB drive using a Sony USB cable (external USB drive and cable are optional and sold separately). The built-in USB connector plugs into a computer for file transfer or camera charging, with two minutes of charge time providing one minute of recording time.
The HDR-CX380E comes with various automatic features to simplify the shooting process. For example, Tracking Focus works as an extension of Face Detection to allow you to select an object with a touch of the LCD and have the focus follow the selected object, even if it leaves the frame and returns. Additionally when Face Detection identifies people in a scene, the camera engages an acoustic processor to reduce background noise, which combined with the camera's Wind Reduction results in making recorded voices clearer. The HDR-CX380E includes Sony's Intelligent Auto mode, which analyzes a shot, and automatically selects the appropriate settings from among ten distinct scene modes.
- 1080/50p and 8.9MP Still Images
- Create high definition 1920 x 1080/50p videos and high resolution 8.9MP still images. The camcorder features a 1/5.8" back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor designed for compact cameras and camcorders. The sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, which maximizes the light gathering area per pixel and achieves better results in low light conditions. A BIONZ image processor handles the image processing duties. In certain recording modes, you can shoot HD video, and capture 8.9MP stills at the same time.
- Sony G Optical Zoom Lens
- This lens has a 35mm equivalent of 26.8mm at the wide end of the focal range, and the 30x optical zoom is supported by a 55x extended zoom, with a 350x digital zoom.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode
- Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode compensates for camera shake to deliver smooth video, and innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.
- 3.0" Clear Photo Plus LCD Touchscreen Display
- The 3.0" (16:9) Clear Photo Plus LCD features 230K dot resolution for sharp, bright, vivid images. The LCD display also functions as a touchscreen that allows you control over camera functions, enabling you to change settings to best capture the scene.
- AVCHD or MP4 Recording Formats
- Users can choose between the AVCHD or MP4 format. AVCHD provides premium video that can be enjoyed on large screen HDTVs and is ideal for capturing precious memories at special occasions, family vacations and other moments you want to treasure for a lifetime. MP4 is great for those moments that you want to quickly share on your social networks or store on the cloud.
- Embedded Flash Memory and Removable Media Cards
- The built-in 16GB embedded flash memory can record and store up to 6 hours 25 minutes of high definition video footage (HD LP mode). The HDR-CX380E also comes with a dual media card slot that is compatible with either SD/SDHC/SDXC cards or select Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo cards. Additionally, the camera can record directly to the removable media.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically mixing and matching settings from these modes: Portrait, Baby, Tripod, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Twilight, Macro, and Low Light for up to 180 different setting combinations to optimize your images.
- Built-In USB 2.0 Cable
- The built-in high-speed USB 2.0 cable provides an easy connection to your computer for charging or file transfer, without the need for a separate cable. It also fits conveniently into the hand strap so it's out of the way until you need it. Charging your camcorder is faster than ever now through the USB; for every two minutes of charge time you get one minute of recording time.
- Direct Copy and Highlight Playback
- With Sony's Direct Copy feature, you can transfer your media files from your camcorder directly to an external USB HDD using a Sony VMC-UAM1 cable (USB HDD and Sony Cable sold separately), all without using a computer. Your camcorder can also directly access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features. Highlight Playback identifies and compiles key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions. You can even pinpoint the exact scene you want to include in the highlight reel.
- Unlimited Storage
- You can attach the camera to an optional external drive to transfer content from the camera's internal memory to free up space, giving you virtually unlimited storage options.