The PAL Sony 8GB HDR-CX290E HD Handycam Camcorder utilizes an 8.9MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens for capturing Full HD 1080/50p video and 8.9MP still images. Users have the option of recording video in one of two formats; the MP4 format is optimized for sharing videos on the web, and AVCHD offers the highest quality. The Zeiss lens offers a 35mm equivalent of 29.8mm on the wide end of the focal range, and the optical zoom ratio is 27x. In addition, a 50x Extended Zoom gets you even closer to the action.
8GB of embedded Flash Memory provides enough storage space for up to 3 hours and 10 minutes of high definition video footage (in the HD LP recording mode). Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode compensates for camera shake, and users can monitor and playback recorded footage via the 2.7" Clear Photo LCD display. Other key features include a built-in USB cable, the Event Browse feature, the Direct Copy feature, and an Intelligent Auto Mode capable of up to 90 different scene combinations.
- 8.9MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Sony's back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor is specifically designed for compact cameras and camcorders. The sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, which maximizes the light gathering area per pixel and renders better results in low light conditions.
- 1080/50p and 8.9MP Still Images
- Create high definition 1920 x 1080 50p videos and 8.9MP still images. Videos can be recorded in either the high quality AVCHD or web optimized MP4 format.
- 29.8mm Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens
- The 29.8mm (35mm equivalent) Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens is designed specifically for compact camcorders. The lens has an optical zoom ratio of 27x and a 50x Extended Zoom.
- 8GB Embedded Flash Memory
- The built-in 8GB embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 3 hours and 10 minutes of high definition video footage in the HD LP recording mode.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.
- 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Display
- The 2.7" (16:9) Clear Photo LCD display features 230K dot resolution and displays sharp, bright, vivid images, enabling you to change settings to best represent the scene.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes and wind noise reduction. There are 90 different combinations are possible: Portrait, Baby, Walk, Tripod, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Twilight, Macro, and Low light.
- Built-in USB 2.0 Cable
- The built-in, high-speed USB 2.0 cable allows for easy connection to your computer for charging or file transfer, without the need for separate cables. It also fits conveniently into the hand strap so it's out of the way until you need it. Charging your camcorder is faster than ever now through the USB; for every two minutes of charge time you get one minute of recording time.
- Direct Copy and Highlight Playback
- Store your memories in a whole new way with the ability to copy videos from your camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), all without a computer. Your camcorder can also access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features. Highlight Playback identifies and compiles key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions. You can even pinpoint the exact scene you want to include in the highlight reel.