The red and pink Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera features a 16.3 megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS sensor and PRIME M image processing engine to produce high quality imagery while delivering fast performance throughout the entire camera system. The combination of these two technologies affords a high sensitivity level of ISO 51200, full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 6 fps, and renders both still images and videos with notable image quality and clarity. Full HD 1080p video recording is supported in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps as well as HD 720p recording up to 60 fps. Video files are recorded in the high quality H.264 AVC/MPEG-4 codec and saved as .MOV files for easier sharing and editing. When recording video or making still imagery with live view, a 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor is available and provides a wide viewing angle for improved viewing in a variety of shooting positions.
Benefitting the image quality is the SAFOX IXi+ autofocus system, which works to ensure sharp, accurate focus quickly and smoothly. Additionally, when working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to provide a more objective and comparable method of acquiring critical focus. Also contributing to image sharpness is in-camera sensor shift image stabilization, which reduces the appearance of camera shake by about three shutter speed steps when working in low-light conditions or with longer focal length lenses.
For extensive control over image-making, in-camera RAW (DNG) image processing is available as well as HDR shooting capabilities. For expediting control over the most oft-used functions of the K-50, both the front and rear e-dials are customizable and can be programmed to control an array of exposure settings and camera functions. For creatively modifying imagery in-camera, a variety of filters, scene modes, and auto modes are available to enhance the look and feel of imagery prior to post-processing. In addition to the range of automatic camera settings, traditional manual shooting modes are also available, such as program, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, sensitivity-priority, and manual.
All of the K-50's technologies are housed within a red polycarbonate-covered camera body that is supported by a stainless steel chassis and features a textured pink-colored grip surface. This body design is fully weather-sealed and protects the camera from moisture and dust as well as extreme temperatures from 14-104°. Additionally, the design of the camera allows the use of either the standard lithium-ion battery pack or four AA batteries as its power source when used in conjunction with the optional D-BH109 AA Battery Holder.
Included with the K-50 camera body is the smc Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 27.0-82.5mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The lens construction integrates aspherical elements to help minimize chromatic aberration as well as improve image sharpness. An SP (Super Protect) coating has been applied to elements to help repel dust, water, and grease and the lens body is constructed to the same weather-resistant standards as the K-50 for use in inclement conditions.
- Unique Camera Body Coloring
- This camera features a bright and unique coloring scheme that has a red body with a textured pink-colored grip.
- 16.3MP APS-C Sensor and PRIME M Image Processor
- The combination of the 16.3 megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS sensor and PRIME M image processor is able to produce high resolution imagery with notable quality and low-light sensitivity to ISO 51200. The speed afforded by the image processor enables continuous full-resolution shooting up to 6 fps, a maximum shutter speed of 1/6000th of a second, and also supports full HD 1080p video capture.
- SAFOX IXi+ Autofocus System
- The SAFOX IXi+ AF system utilizes 11 focus points, including nine cross-type sensors, to quickly and accurately acquire focus using a phase-detection method. With the inclusion of an AF-assist lamp and a diffraction lens, precise focusing is possible in a wide variety of lighting conditions using single-shot or continuous focusing modes. If working in manual focus, focus peaking is also available to highlight lines of contrast within the scene to offer a more objective means for determining critical focus.
- Fully Weather-Sealed Body Design
The weather-sealed polycarbonate body with stainless steel chassis affords a wealth of protection to camera and enables its use in a wide variety of conditions, ranging from rain and humidity to snow and frigid temperatures. The weather sealing is rated to protect from moisture and dust as well as an extensive temperature range from 14-104°F.
In addition to the weather protection, the body also incorporates a bright optical pentaprism viewfinder that provides a 100% field of view for critical viewing in a wide range of conditions. Four optional focusing screens are also available to further customize the viewing conditions within the viewfinder and to suit different needs based viewing and focusing requirements.
- In-Camera Image Stabilization
- Pentax' sensor-shift type shake reduction image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working with longer lenses in dim lighting conditions by up to the equivalent of three to four shutter speed steps. This helps to produce sharper overall imagery regardless of the lens in use. Also helping to balance imagery in-camera, a dual-axis electronic level is available to ensure consistent and straight horizons and plumb vertical lines.
- Full HD 1080p Video
- In addition to high quality still imagery, the K-50 also supports full HD video recording up to 1080p at 30 fps. Other frame rates available include 1080p at 24 fps; HD 720p at 60, 50, 30, 25, and 24 fps; and SD 480p at 30, 25, and 24 fps. Video is recorded in the high quality H.264 AVC/MPEG-4 format and can be saved in the Internet-friendly .MOV file format. Sound can be recorded along with the video using the built-in monaural microphone.
- smc Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens
- The included standard zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27.0-82.5mm to suit working in a wide variety of shooting scenarios. It features the same weather-resistant construction as the camera body to enable shooting in harsh environments and also has an SP coating to help repel dust, water, and grease on lens elements. Its construction incorporates aspherical lens elements to help minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and also contribute to producing overall sharper, clearer imagery.
- Other Camera Features
- A 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor is available for live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation.
- In addition to the standard lithium-ion battery pack, the K-50 also accepts four AA batteries as its power source when using the optional D-BH109 AA Battery Holder.
- A 77-segment exposure metering system works to produce well-exposed and consistent results even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
- In-camera HDR shooting works to effectively expand the dynamic range of an image and achieve greater shadow and highlight detail.
- RAW (DNG) image processing is available in camera in order to quickly and easily convert images an Internet-friendly JPEG file format.
- Built-in pop-up flash with a guide no. of 39.4' at ISO 100 provides additional illumination for low-light settings and covers focal lengths as wide as 28mm.
- Programmable front and rear e-dials allow you to customize the controls available to quickly access without having to navigate through the camera's menu system.
- Enhanced creative modes, scene modes, filters, and auto picture modes allow you to easily modify and adjust the overall aesthetic appearance of imagery in-camera.
- Pentax K lens mount enables the use of a wide variety of both past and present K-mount lenses as well as compatibility with a variety of lens mount adapters.
- Eye-Fi memory card compatibility for wirelessly transferring imagery directly from the camera.
- Language support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, and Russian.