The angled viewing SX-2 Kenai 25-60x80 HD Spotting Scope from Leupold comes with a 25-60x zoom eyepiece, as well as a 30x fixed-power eyepiece that transmits an expansive 72° apparent viewing angle. For this spotting scope series, Leupold outfitted the SX-2 Kenai with High-Definition (HD) lenses, lightweight magnesium alloy chassis, and an oversized focus wheel that can focus the scope as close as 12 ft.
Leupold's HD lenses are made of high-transmission, calcium-fluoride glass elements that produce saturated colors and clarity that is superior to that of standard optical glass. Additionally, HD elements are lead-free, and they weigh less than comparably-sized standard glass elements. The SX-2 Kenai optical path is also enhanced by highly-reflective BAK4 prism glass and index matched lens coatings. Each lens surface is multicoated with an index matched coating that is optimized to suit the refractive index, function and placement of the lens. The resulting images are detail-rich, with luminous and color faithful views.
Complementing its high-definition optical system, the SX-2 Kenai scope is packed with handling features that deliver a user-friendly glassing experience. Knurled ridges on the zoom ring and rubberized ridges on the focusing wheel provide tactile feedback that is especially useful when making field of view adjustments in wet conditions or while wearing gloves. The scope's integrated sun shade also has a raised gripping surface. The scope can easily be connected to a tripod via its 1/4"-20 mounting socket; a rotating collar allows the observer to reorient the eyepiece in a suitable position without dismounting the scope.
In addition to being lightweight and easy to handle, its rubber-armored magnesium alloy body and nitrogen-filled housing make the SX-2 Kenai ready to endure heavy rain and extreme humidity. The included eyepieces both have twist-up rubber eyecups, and they each have a long eye relief (17-18mm for the zoom eyepiece; 18mm for the 30x eyepiece), providing a comfortable viewing distance even for eyeglass wearers. Its combination of functionality, build quality and image quality make the SX-2 Kenai a full-featured spotting scope for almost any intermediate to long-range observation.
- Optical Performance
- 80mm objective lens
- 20-60x zoom and 30x fixed-power eyepieces
- BAK4 prism glass
- HD objective lens: lead-free, calcium-fluoride elements
- Index matched lens coatings optimize light transmission
- 45-60° apparent viewing angle (25-60x eyepiece); 72° (30x eyepiece)
- 17-18mm eye relief (25-60x eyepiece); 18mm (30x eyepiece)
- 12 ft minimum focus distance
- Use and Handling
- Retractable lens shade with gripping ridges
- Angled view eyepiece is inclined 45° from scope's objective
- Rotating and locking tripod collar
- Built-in tripod mounting socket
- Twist-up rubber eyecup on each eyepiece
- Construction Details
- Nitrogen-filled for fogproof and waterproof performance
- Knurled zoom ring; rubberized ridges on focus wheel
- Rubber armored housing
- 58.5 oz weight