The Sony PMW-400L 2/3" XDCAM EX HD Camcorder with 50 Pin Interface Adapter is a 2/3", shoulder-mounted, interchangeable lens camcorder in the XDCAM EX line. It features three 2/3" type Exmor CMOS imaging sensors with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. The camera records HD and SD in both NTSC and PAL compatible frame rates. The camera records 1080i at 59.94/50 and 1080p at 29.97/25/23.98, as well as 720p in 59.94/50/25/23.98 and SD at 576i/p and 480i/p as well as additional HD frame sizes. The PMW-400 features a high quality 4:2:2 recording @ 50 MB/s in 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 and other data recording settings. The camera records to Sony's SxS media cards, these cards use the ExpressCard/34 interface providing a fast transfer into a computer equipped with an ExpressCard slot. The camera also records to optional, lower cost media cards using available adapters, although Sony recommends using these in an emergency only.
The PMW-400 also features a host of camera functions and settings including; a memory buffer that allows you to record up to 15 seconds of audio and picture before you press the record button, selectable gamma curves, slow and quick motion (variable recording frame rates), time-lapse, stop-motion, and slow shutter mode. The camcorder features a removable 3.5" Color LCD Viewfinder that you can view as a standard viewfinder or remove the eyepiece and use as an LCD screen. The PMW-400 features timecode in and out and genlock for multiple camera shoots.The PMW-400LCE package comes with Sony's CBK-CE01 50 Pin Interface and Digital Extender already installed. This adapter allows you to access the 2x digital extender that blows up the image 2x with minimal loss in quality. The adapter also allows you to connect the optional CA-FB70 Optical fiber adaptor or the CA-TX70 Digital Triax adaptor for studio operation.
- Imaging System
- The three, 2/3", Exmor, CMOS sensors capture 1920 x 1080 video and are coupled with an F 1.4 prism. The large sized sensors and the optically fast prism allow the camera to have excellent low light capabilities.
- Optical ND Filters
- A built-in filter ring features four filters that you can select. These are a clear and three different ND filters. The lightest ND filter passes 1/4 of the light, the next ND filter passes 1/16th of the light, and the heaviest ND filter passes 1/64th of the light.
- The 3.5" color LCD viewfinder features 1/4 HD resolution with 960 x 540 pixels. The viewfinder is removable, can be adjusted side to side, and rotate as much as 180 degrees toward the subject. In this position, the viewfinder image and information will be upside down; a switch on the rear panel of the viewfinder can be used to correct the upside down picture and viewfinder info. The viewfinder's eyepiece features diopter adjustment that allows you to compensate for differences in each operator's vision. The eyepiece can also be flipped out of the way allowing you to see the LCD without putting your eye right up against the viewfinder.
- Camera Functions
- The camera features a built in memory cache of that can hold 15 seconds of footage. So the camera is continually buffering the previous 15 seconds worth of video. When you hit the record button and start recording, those 15 seconds are recorded as part of the clip. Essentially you are recording the 15 seconds before you hit record. This can be extremely useful for events where you are waiting for something to happen, but you don't want to miss it by hitting the record button too late or record hours of footage of nothing happening. The cache allows you to frame up the shot and then when something happens, you've already captured it just by pressing record within 15 seconds of the event happening.
- Focus peaking provides a colored highlight around areas that are in focus and can be very useful in situations where it is hard to tell what is in focus by using the LCD viewfinder.
- The included focus magnification function expands the image in the viewfinder to help you focus.
- Assignable function buttons
- The PMW-400 supports HD recording using the MPEG-2 LONG GOP codec, and SD recordings are made in the DVCAM or MPEG IMX format. HD resolutions include 1920 x 1080, 1440 x 1080, and 1280 x 720.
- The PMW-400 supports Native 23.98 recording
- Media Card Slots
- Two SxS card slots take Sony available SxS Pro and SxS-1 media cards.
- Electronic CC Filters
- Hyper/Standard Gamma selectable
- Slow Shutter
- Frame Recording: stop motion animation
- Time Lapse
- Slow & Quick Motion
- 720p: Frame rate selectable from 1 fps to 60 fps
- 1080p: Frame rate selectable from 1 fps to 30 fps
- Image Inversion
Provides wireless capabilities