The Onkyo TX-NR929 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver features a full discrete amp configuration that supports 9.2-channels of surround sound with 9-channels powered at up to 160W per channel. It's compatible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio decoding. Plus, all channels are equipped with 192 kHz / 24-bit DACs. The unit is THX Certified and it supports Onkyo's Wide Range Amp Technology (WRAT) with separate components and Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry. It also supports Phase-Matching (PM) Bass and InstaPrevue. The receiver affords Audyssey room correction technology and sound optimization for automatic speaker setup as well.
The TX-NR929 features nine HDMI inputs that support 4K pass-through, 4K upscaling and 3D pass-through. There are two HDMI outputs as well, which support simultaneous Zone A/B output. The unit also features Wi-Fi network connectivity, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) for sending up to Full HD 1080p video and 7.1-channel audio from your compatible smartphone or tablet through the receiver to a compatible HDTV. With the Wi-Fi connection, you can also stream from music sources like Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody and more.
The TX-NR929 has a variety of other connectivity options. There are multiple analog video and audio connections, as well as several optical and coaxial digital audio inputs. There is also a network RJ-45 Ethernet jack and a front panel USB port where you can connect your iPod, iPhone, iPad, USB thumb drive or other USB-equipped digital music player. Onkyo equipped the TX-NR929 with two additional channels of audio and an extra subwoofer output. This 2.1-channel setup can be used for Zone 2 output of your audio signal into a second room, while still leaving the main unit 7.1-channel surround sound. The device works with the Onkyo remote app as well, which lets you control the system from your mobile device.
- THX Select2 Plus Certified
- THX certification guarantees theater-reference volumes in medium-sized rooms with minimal distortion. The TX-NR929 meets the demanding and rigorous performance certification for THX. It has to pass 75 test categories and 2000 tests, covering 14,000 data points.
- Built-In Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity
- Send a huge range of hi-res, lossless and compressed audio files (including 192 kHz / 24-bit FLAC, DSD and Dolby TrueHD) to your home theater from a smartphone, PC, tablet, NAS device or online source using the Onkyo remote app to control playback. The TX-NR929 uses Wi-Fi to connect wirelessly to your home network without cables or adapters. Also, you can pair up to ten compatible Bluetooth devices and stream high-quality wireless audio using the receiver's built-in Bluetooth 2.1. The enhanced data rate provides faster data transfer.
- Separated Construction
- The separate components inside the receiver (the pre-amp and the amp) are designed so that the power amplifier block and the pre-amplifier coexist, but are perfectly isolated. Furthermore, the circuit boards are fixed to the chassis so that vibrations from the base are suppressed.
- Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT) & Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry
- Onkyo's proprietary Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT) includes discrete low-negative-feedback amplifiers for punchy, true-to-life sound. Closed ground-loop circuits reduce noise and high instantaneous current counters impedance fluctuations. Onkyo's exclusive amp technology enhances the audio of your movies, music and games. Working in concert with WRAT amps, Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry is also a core Onkyo technology. It incorporates a low negative feedback design that conducts more sublimely natural sound. It's used on all channels to handle reference-level playback without distortion.
- Phase-Matching (PM) Bass & Clear Vocals
- Phase-Matching (PM) Bass optimizes low frequencies and preserves mid-range clarity. This means that powerful bass won't overpower the clear vocals. Onkyo's PM Bass boost technology improves the phase timing to preserve the natural clarity of the mid-range and it allows vocals and strings to shine while maintaining a smooth, powerful bass response at all volume levels.
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Pass-Through & 3D Ready via HDMI
- Qdeo technology from Marvell upscales standard video to Full HD 1080p for regular HDTVs and it upscales video to 4K (4096 x 2160) on compatible displays. Also, this receiver will pass-through 4K resolution from compatible source devices. The TX-NR929's nine HDMI inputs take surround sound formats from Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. They also support 3D video. There are also two HDMI outputs. One supports Audio Return Channel, so you can boost your TV's sound through your receiver. The other can be used for a second TV or projector.
- Zone 2 HDMI Output for HD Video in 2 Rooms
- With Zone 2 HDMI Out, you can send hi-def content to a second TV without having to purchase another Blu-ray player or any other set-top box. Connect your additional display using the receiver's Zone 2 HDMI output to watch the same program, or a different one, in two different rooms.
- Internet Radio & Music Streaming Services
- The TX-NR929 provides wireless access to Internet radio and music streaming services. These services are easily selectable using the receiver's GUI or the Onkyo remote control app. Explore more than 10,000 radio stations and enjoy their albums and playlists with theater-fidelity sound.
- Onkyo Remote Control App
- The Onkyo remote control app for iPod touch, iPhone, Android mobile devices and Kindle devices provides a convenient way to control your home entertainment from anywhere within wireless range. The app has a clear graphical interface to control playback, adjust settings and handle content across multiple zones. The app serves hi-res, lossless and compressed audio files (including 192 kHz / 24-bit FLAC, DSD and Dolby TrueHD) to the TX-NR929 from your mobile device.
- MHL & InstaPrevue for Easy Video Switching
- MHL displays your mobile device's 1080p video with 7.1-channel surround sound on your HDTV. InstaPrevue technology names your HDMI sources and then displays live video thumbnails of available content. Switch sources easily, with just a glance. No need to remember what's connected to which port.
- Audyssey Technology
- Audyssey MultEQ room-correction technology delivers clear, well-balanced, natural sound. Audyssey Dynamic EQ maintains consistent bass, tonal and surround sound effects at different volume levels. Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatically compensates for volume fluctuations, for example during loud commercial breaks.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS Neo:X & Audyssey DSX
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz gives you Front Height channels with 7.1-channel upmixing from stereo sources. Audyssey DSX lets you augment your speaker setup by adding two additional Front Wide channels, expanding the width of the soundstage, or two Front Height speakers to add a vertical dimension to movies and games. DTS Neo:X offers Wides and Heights and supports 11.1-channel upmixing with the addition of an outboard stereo.
- Overlaid Menus for Quick Adjustments
- The Quick Set-Up button on your remote puts menus over the program you're watching to switch inputs or change a setting without interrupting your viewing. Similarly, the Home Menu button calls up simple icons for choosing a media source and menus for system settings.
- Multi-Room Playback
- The TX-NR929 features Powered Zone 2 outputs and Zone 2/3 line-outs. This lets you assign two channels to power audio in a room equipped with speakers. An existing hi-fi system in a third room can also be connected via the line-out, enabling the use of the A/V receiver as a pre-amp and audio server. Control content in all three zones via the remote app. Plus, you can play the same song in all zones using Whole House Mode or enjoy a different song in each room.
Other Amplifier Features
- Continuous 6 ohms rated
- Certified 4 ohms performance
- All discrete circuitry
- PUSH-PULL design
- Independent power supply
- Bi-amp capability for front
Other Processing Features
- Onkyo game surround modes
- Advanced music optimizer
- 192 kHz / 24-bit Burr-Brown DACs
- isf Certified Calibration Control
Other Connectivity Features
- HDMI support for 3D, Audio Return Channel (ARC) and CEC
- HDMI support for Deep Color, x.v.Color and LipSync
- HDMI support for DVD-audio, SACD and multi-channel PCM
- Front-panel A/V (L/R/V) and front-panel optical connection
- Analog To HDMI upconversion from 480/576i
- Powered Zone 2 and Zone 3
- iPod Ready and Airplay ready via optional DS-A5
- Supports Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, Slacker, last.fm, Aupeo! and TuneIn
- Streaming audio from PC/Network (DLNA, Home Media)
- Streaming audio from USB memory
Other General Features
- Onkyo-RI System Control
- Learning remote
- Activity based remote
- Color-coded speaker terminals
- OSD out (advanced "home" GUI)
- Solid aluminum front
- On-screen remote programming