The Canon XL2 is the upgraded replacement model of the ground breaking XL1 camera. It is still the only prosumer camcorder to offer an interchangeable lens system. The Canon XL2 offers many features that until recently were only available on professional camera systems. Functions like 16:9 aspect ratio, scan-matching, professional time code and custom picture looks were available only on cameras costing many times the price of the XL2. This camera also has 30 -frame and 24-frame interlaced and progressive modes. The addition of 24-frame is the most significant technology advance in the prosumer camcorder bag of tricks.
*Canon has recently removed a film-look feature that was included in the initial batch of camcorders. The model currently available is now without a Cine feature called Film Grain. This digital function simulated the look of certain film stocks through the addition of a grain effect. The camera we sell here at B&H no longer has this feature.
- 16:9 Aspect Widescreen Recording
- Almost unique at the prosumer level, the Canon XL 2 shoots in a true 16:9 ratio without artificial letter-boxing or vertically squeezing a 4:3 image. This camera uses a CCD block with 680,000 total pixels per chip. In 4:3 mode the chip crops the left and right sides resulting in the conventional ratio with 350,000 used pixels per CCD. In 16:9 mode the chip is used at full width resulting in a true 16:9 image utilizing some 460,000 pixels per chip.
- Progressive and Interlaced Interpolation
- The Canon XL 2 offers 3 different shooting modes for specific image looks. The camera offers both interlaced and progressive interpolation modes that include both 30 and 24-frame options.
- The Luxury of Canon Lenses
- Canon is unique in offering an interchangeable lens system. The XL 2 comes standard with a 20x zoom lens with an optical image stabilization system. The anti-shake system becomes especially important as greater zoom length is used. Highly advanced glass technology and lens coatings are meant to increase resolution and reduce intra-lens reflections. The standard XL 1 series lenses can also be fitted to this camera.
- Creative Image Parameter Features
- To add custom or film-like image control, the XL 2 offers a wide range of video parameters that can be used to achieve your cinematic vision. Because different film stocks offer individual image reproduction qualities, this digital camera gives a great amount of control over color, contrast, detail and grain parameters.