The Canon XH-A1 is an extension of the XL-H1 HDV camcorder. The camera is geared towards the videographer on a budget who isn't willing to compromise any of the professional attributes of its big brother. With the same high quality 1/3" CCDs, the camera yields an image both crisp and noise-free. The solid feeling is instantly apparent when operating the XH-A1; despite its modest frame, the camera performs like a pro!
Utilizing the highly efficient HDV compression format allows over an hour of high definition recording on a single miniDV tape! Featuring a 20x fluorite fixed lens, its superior optics gives professional level shooters ultimate image fidelity unmatched by the competition. Also included is the Instant AF auto-focus system, incorporating technology that helps reduce auto focus reaction time while increasing overall accuracy.
- HD at Your Fingertips
- The XH-A1 camcorder has three 1/3" 16:9 interlaced CCDs that capture images at 1080i resolution. The camcorder features selectable frame rates of 60i, 30 Frame and 24 Frame to allow the user to adjust to the assignment at hand and can switch back to SD resolution if needed. At the 30 Frame rate, broadcasters can capture fast motion like sports with confidence that each frame is captured individually and completely. Filmmakers can utilize the 24 Frame rate when creating the look and feel of movie film. The 60i frame rate, meanwhile, delivers exceptional resolution for shooting environments like ENG or Reality TV.
- High Quality Images
- The XH-A1 HD camcorder includes Canon's proprietary DIGIC DV II image processor. DIGIC DV II is an image processor that can process both HD and SD video signals as well as still photos. The highly effective chip ensures clean, noise-free footage with unmatched color fidelity.
- Flip-Out LCD
- The camera features a flip-out LCD capable of being viewed from both sides of the camera, a feature often overlooked on competitive cameras. The LCD provides ample resolution for more capable focus assistance. The display tucks cleanly under the handle when not in use, resulting in unfettered side controls.
- Instant AF
- Instant AF is an auto-focus assistant that dramatically increases both speed and accuracy when paired with HD technology. High Definition requires far more precision to get perfect focus than its standard definition counterpart. The increase in fidelity means the camera itself must work harder to find complete focus. If the auto-focus still doesn't satisfy, Canon has included independent rings for not only focus and zoom, but iris as well; A feature usually only afforded to high-end ENG systems.
- The XH-A1 can be customized in a variety of different ways. The image itself can be tweaked to get an endless array of different styles. Additionally, all of these functions can be saved via a Secure Digital (SD) card, for future retrieval. This feature can also be used to transfer camera settings from one camera to another, which can save time during projects with multiple cameras.
- Optical Stabilization Feature
- Canon calls its image stabilizer Super-Range Optical Image Stabilization and it helps defeat camera shake from hand held shooting and even shake produced from a moving vehicle. Because it is an optical function, it can compensate for a greater degree of camera shake and avoids any loss in image quality unlike electronic or digital stabilizing methods.