The 70-200mm f/2.8 G Alpha A-Mount Telephoto Zoom Lens from Sony is G-Series zoom lens that covers a broad range of frequent telephoto focal lengths, with a 35mm equivalent range of 105-300mm, fast f/2.8 aperture and quiet, high-speed Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM).
With a full range of functions geared to the professional photographer, this lens provides sharp images across the entire film area at all apertures. High-quality multi-coatings increase transmittance and reduced flare to preserve contrast. It is constructed of 19 elements in 16 groups, as well as two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements - which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range. It has a minimum focusing distance of 3.9' and a front-end filter diameter of 77mm.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-32
- With f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, up to a maximum of f/32, the high quality of this lens means you don't have to sacrifice aperture for higher focal lengths as some lenses do when zooming in.
- For Alpha & Minolta Maxxum DSLRs
- Designed with full-frame and APS-C sized sensors in mind, it is compatible with any of the Sony Alpha or Minolta Maxxum series DSLR cameras.
- 2x Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Glass Elements
- The lens is built with two Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, which improves image quality by reducing color aberrations, as well as providing improved contrast and greater sharpness throughout the frame.
- Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM)
- Designed for fast, smooth, silent automatic focusing, this unique technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. It operates through the ability of a piezoelectric device to reshape itself quickly when voltage is applied.
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.9'
- At 3.9' the minimum focusing distance of the lens makes it possible to move in for very close-up shots.
- 9x Blade Circular Aperture
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded "bokeh" background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing out of focus effect.
- Teleconverter Compatible
- Compatible with optional Sony 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters, which extend the focal length of the lens. Teleconverters are compatible with manual focus only, however.
- Focus Range Switch
- Used when you need the quickest possible autofocus response within a certain focal range, the lens will only autofocus within the set range eliminating AF at focal lengths outside.