In today's new Ultrabook craze, the message to the industry has been make it smaller and lighter. But Samsung delivers on that message with one of the thinnest external DVD drives you'll see, the Ultra Portable Slim 8x/6x DVD+/-RW USB External Drive (Black), a unit so thin (14mm) that you'll have to remind yourself that it's there.
We can go on about the features - it's a fully functioning DVD player and burner, capable of reading popular formats like DVD (single and dual layer), DVD+/-R/RW, and CD-R, but it also writes (burns) many DVD and CD formats as well. The access time is about 190 ms, which puts it right up there with many laptop internal optical drives.
What makes this thinner and lighter drive more interesting is its ability to let you watch movies on USB 2.0 enabled TVs and tablets running Android Honeycomb 3.1 or above. The power consumption is so low (and there are no cords since the unit is powered through the USB cable) that you can plug this into a tablet and watch your DVDs without burning through the tablet's battery life. At only 9 ounces and just over half an inch thick, you may want one of these around to keep your Ultrabook ultra-light and carefree.
- Ultrabook Thin
- Ultra thin design, light weight and low power consumption make SE-218BB the best partner for Ultrabooks. The world's thinnest (only 14mm thick) external DVD will give you true mobility.
- AV Connectivity
- Through Samsung SE-218BB's AV Connectivity, your TV or tablet PC (with Android Honeycomb 3.1 or above) can become a media file player when it is linked to the drive thru the USB cable. Now you can enjoy movies everywhere, from the kitchen to the backyard.
- Battery Power Consumption
- Battery running time is one of the biggest hurdles for laptop portability. SE-218B's low power consumption provides a longer working time than other external DVD drives. Even one USB port from a tablet PC provides sufficient power to use the SE-218BB.
- Buffer Underrun Free
- Buffer Under Run Errors result from writing speed exceeding that of the data transfer speed - a common frustrating occurrence during high speed writing. But Buffer Under Run technology prevents these obstacles from occurring while enabling PC multitasking.
- Mac OS Compatible
- Good news for Mac users: the Samsung Slim External DVD Writer is not only completely compatible with Mac OS, it has received Apple's official approval. So whether you prefer Mac or Windows for PC, you're always in business.
- Manufactured with lead-free soldering technology and excluding materials harmful to the human body or the environment such as, Pb, Cd, Cr+6, Hg, PBBs and PBDE, the Slim External DVD Writer is one of Samsung's many eco-products designed to help you lead an environmentally friendly lifestyle.