The Leica S (Typ 006) Medium Format DSLR Camera houses a 37.5MP low noise CCD image sensor. The camera's clean body makes for intuitive use, thanks to a lack of extraneous functions. Four soft keys and a click wheel enter settings, while the 3.0" LCD monitor displays all the functions of the camera in a clear, simple layout. A five-way switch, designed to resemble a mini-joystick, is a control concept developed for the Leica S. A high eye point viewfinder and a comfortable handgrip, round out the ergonomic features of the camera body. The Leica S has the aforementioned 37.5MP, all of which are put to use rendering extremely detailed medium format images. Compatible with Leica S lenses, the combination of the low-noise CCD sensor and Leica glass ensure clarity and high quality image capture. Other aspects that help capture professional-grade DNG or JPEG files include a 2GB buffer memory for smooth, fast operation of the camera, dual memory card slots for utilizing CF and SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, and an ISO range of 100-1600.
The Leica S has multiple interfaces for streamlined data transfer and image capture. Among them are an ISO flash shoe, standard flash connecting socket, a type C HDMI port, a 4-pin LEMO socket (USB 2.0 standard), a 7-pin LEMO socket for remote control accessories and remote flash firing, and a contact strip for multi-function handgrips. All interfaces are dust and splash-proof. The camera can be connected to a Mac or PC with a cable to the LEMO USB port. Additional features start with a notable battery life of approximately 1,000 exposures in a single battery charge. The camera's integrated GPS functionality allows for the location information to be added to the EXIF data for each image. Local times and time zones are automatically synchronized. Included software allows for the location and capture time of each image to be plotted on a map. Free downloads of Leica Image Shuttle and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom can be accessed once the camera is registered.
- Optimum Image Quality
- The Leica S features a specially designed, highly efficient autofocus system that helps to gain focus quickly under a wide variety of situations. An increased sensitivity range, from ISO 100 to 1600, also contributes to greater clarity in images when working in both bright and dim-lighting. These two technologies seek to provide sharp imagery regardless of working in either the most ideal or most adverse lighting conditions.
- Fast and Efficient
- The 2GB buffer memory plays a significant role in the image-processing speed. It also allows extended sequences to be shot in continuous-shooting mode. The Leica S can capture up to 32 consecutive images in DNG format with lossless compression at a maximum rate of 1.5 frames per second. In JPEG-only mode, the number of images in sequence is limited only by memory card capacity.
- Intuitive Handling
- The intuitive handling concept of the new Leica S gets by with a minimum of control elements. All functions are displayed in a clear and simple layout on the monitor screen and settings are entered with four soft keys and a click wheel. Brand new features of the control concept are a five-way switch in the form of a mini-joystick and an even clearer layout of the user interface.
- Integrated GPS
- The Leica S features an integrated GPS module. This allows the registration of exposure location details in the EXIF data of each image file. Local times and time zones are automatically synchronized. The software provided allows the location and capture time of each image to be plotted on a map.
- Informative Display
- With 920,000 pixels covering the 16.7 million colors of the sRGB color space, the 3" TFT monitor enables bright and clear image viewing and assessment of sharpness, even in adverse lighting conditions. Whenever required, photographers can also superimpose exposure parameters and a transparent brightness or RGB histogram on the monitor image.
- Finely Tuned Ergonomics
- Although a heavyweight in terms of technology, the new Leica is a featherweight in the hand. Its compact construction, ideal balance and a comparatively low weight are advantages that, along with the ergonomics of the handgrip, the grip characteristics of its armoring and ideal placement of all its controls, assure low fatigue photography.
- Dual Memory Card Support
- The Leica S has two memory card slots for writing data simultaneously to CompactFlash and SD cards. The advantages: increased memory capacity and faster write speeds. The workflow also becomes easier, as DNG files for processing and JPEGs for image review can be saved separately on different cards.
- Top Connectivity
- Dust and splash-proof interfaces allow connection of the new Leica S with Macs or PCs via cable to its LEMO USB port - to read images from memory cards, control the camera remotely, or to integrate studio flash systems, for example. An HDTV can also be connected for precise image review. Appropriate cables with robustly constructed strain-relief connectors are supplied with the camera.
- Power Packed Photography
- The new Leica S allows almost 1,000 exposures on a single battery charge. If that's not enough, the range of S-Accessories offers a professional charger for two batteries, a 12-volt connector for the lighter socket in vehicles and a remote power supply for static shooting. A special mechanism prevents the battery falling out when the battery compartment is opened.