New Features and Fixes Arrive in Leica M Firmware Update
Leica has announced the release of new firmware for the Leica M Digital Rangefinder Cameras. Firmware version 126.96.36.199 is available immediately and includes many enhancements to improve the functionality of the camera.
For starters, this firmware provides fixes for various minor problems that have occurred in the camera, including with Live View when operating at high temperatures, light metering in Live View mode, and problems with the sensor-cleaning function. Also, the following additions or enhancements are included.
- Live View is now possible with every lens using “Manual Lens Detection” mode (including older screw lenses via an adapter).
- Description of lens types in EXIF-DATA has been improved.
- A “Video Off” option is now available in the Set menu (see submenu item “Video Recording”). The M-Button on the top plate is deactivated when this option is chosen.
- The Horizon Level is now visible in Live View, overlaying the live image. This info-screen is enabled using the menu item “Horizon.”
- “Exposure Simulation” is a new menu item.
Permanent: Live View accurately shows image brightness according to the shutter speed and aperture set in manual exposure (as long as the chosen exposure time is less than 1/30-second).
Release Button Half-Pressed: Image brightness in live view is adjusted for best visibility, regardless of the actual exposure.
- Half-pressing the shutter button shows the actual exposure.
- Exposure Bracketing settings are now saved when the camera is switched off.
- Direct exposure correction: an “EV Correction” option in the menu enables direct adjustment so EV compensation can be altered by turning the thumb wheel, without pressing additional buttons.
- Extended Auto ISO options include all AUTO ISO options now visible using the ISO button, Extra options for “Maximum Exposure Time”—1x, 2x, or 4x focal length—can be selected to avoid camera shake when using auto ISO and long lenses; “Auto ISO in M mode” now offered as an option and, alternatively, the camera chooses the previous manually chosen ISO speed.
- In Live View, new Crop Marks for 3:4, 6:7, 1:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios can be displayed. By pressing the Up/Down keys, the crop marks are superimposed on the live-view screen (without additional information).
- During video recording, 1/25-second is now used instead of 1/24-second. This reduces flicker effects with 50Hz mains voltage.
- “Classic/LV Disabled” is a new light-metering mode. In this mode, only Classic light metering is possible; the LV button is disabled to avoid the activation of Live View by accident.
- Menu item “Focus Peaking” now offers improved visibility and the color of focus peaking can be set to red, green, or blue.
- Better display of GPS location data. The position is now shown for JPEG files in Adobe Lightroom and, where the signal is weak, the last position is now deleted after 5 minutes instead of 24 hours, as in previous firmware.
- Korean language is now available as a Menu Language.
Installing these updates on your Leica M is a simple process. Using a formatted SD card, download the 188.8.131.52 firmware file from the Leica M website and position the unzipped file outside of the DCIM folder. Place the card into your Leica M and hold the INFO button while turning on your camera—the updates will load into your camera in two to four minutes. Be sure the battery is sufficiently charged when beginning this short process.