New Angry Birds Speakers, Headphones and Cases from GEAR4
They’re invading our ears, sheathing our speakers, coating our iPhones and encasing our iPads. Cartoon characters made infamous by the game Angry Birds have been licensed by the accessory maker GEAR4 for a variety of new accessories.
Count them up and you get a score of AB-anointed items, a veritable 20 birds baked in a pie. Reserve three slices for speakers, please. After all, half the fun of Angry Birds is the sound effects. So, it’s not a stretch to plaster AB imagery on a speaker—or three speakers (two with docks), each configured for 2.1 sound (stereo speakers and subwoofer), separate volume and bass knobs and a 3.5mm line-in jack.
We present the Angry Birds line of orb-shaped speakers:
- Angry Birds Black Bird Speaker tethered to an adjacent docking stand for inserting an iPad, iPhone or iPod. A remote control is included.
- Angry Birds Helmet Pig Speaker with dock atop for accommodating an iPhone or iPod (but not an iPad). A remote is included.
- Angry Birds Red Bird Speaker for use with all music players. in lieu of a dock connector it relies on its line-in audio jack and supplied cable that you attach to the earphone jack of your player. A stand is included for placement of your music player or tablet, but don’t be shocked by its inability to recharge your player. Did we mention that there is no dock port here?
|Angry Birds Black Bird Speaker||Angry Birds Helmet Pig Speaker||Angry Birds Red Bird Speaker|
|Dock Compatibility||iPod touch 1G/2G/3G/4G; iPod nano 1G/2G/3G/4G/5G; iPhone, iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S, iPad 1/2||iPod touch 1G/2G/3G/4G; iPod nano 1G/2G/3G/4G/5G; iPod classic; iPod with video; iPod with color display; iPod mini; iPhone, iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S||Not applicable since included stand has no dock connector|
|Volume & Bass Knobs||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auxiliary Input||3.5mm jack||3.5mm jack||3.5mm jack|
|Weight||3.1 lb / 1.4 kg||3.1 lb / 1.4 kg||3.1 lb / 1.4 kg|
|Dominant Colors||Black||Blue & Green||Red|
Beyond speakers, set aside five slices of the pie for bud pushers. The Angry Birds Tweeters Headphones let you sport your favorite bird or pig on both sides of your head, affording bird watchers twice the opportunity of spotting them. Each set of stereo earbuds plugs into a standard 3.5mm audio jack. Small, medium and large eartips are included. All feature white cords except Bomb Bird, which are black. The official gang of Tweeters is such:
- No-nonsense Black Bomb Bird
- Feathery Blue Bird
- Wall-eyed (Green) Pig King
- Enraged Red Bird
- Pointy-headed Yellow Bird
Having trouble reconciling your favorite character with your favorite color? Sorry. You can’t always get you want.
The largest canvas GEAR4 offers fans for showing off their devotion to the for-the-birds phenomenon are three hard-plastic Angry Birds iPad 2 cases that clip onto your iPad 2 and provide access to all ports and controls:
- Angry Birds iPad 2 Family Case, featuring the assembled cast of birds and pigs posing against a setting (rising?) sun and blue sky
- Angry Birds iPad 2 King Pig vs. Red Bird Case in green and red
- Angry Birds iPad 2 Red Bird Case birds only, mostly in red
Those who carry an iPhone 4 or 4S can wrap their electronics in an Angry Birds iPhone Case. These hard plastic cases are super slim and afford total access to the phone’s ports, controls and cameras. The choices are:
- Angry Birds Bomb Bird for iPhone Case in black
- Angry Birds King Pig for iPhone Case in green
- Angry Birds Red Bird for iPhone Case in red and pink
- Angry Birds Yellow Bird for iPhone Case in yellow and white
If you carry a 4th generation iPod touch, there’s an Angry Birds iPod touch case for you, too. The hard plastic case clips onto an iPod touch with full access to ports, cameras and controls. There are four versions:
- Angry Birds iPod touch Bomb Bird Case in black with red eyebrows and orange beak
- Angry Birds iPod touch King Pig Case in green and lime
- Angry Birds iPod touch Red Bird Case with pink body, black eyebrows and orange beak
- Angry Birds iPod touch Yellow Bird Case with white body, red brows and orange beak
By the way, when GEAR4 refers to these models for “iPod touch 4G,” they mean the “fourth generation” iPod touch. If you buy one thinking it’s compatible with a 4G cellular carrier, you’ll be one angry bird.
Meanwhile, in a stock-keeping unit by itself, there’s the Roku 2 XS Streaming Player, the one device produced by searching for “Angry Birds” at the B&H shopping site that enables you to play Angry Birds. (You first link the Roku 2 XS to your network and HDTV.) The streaming media player’s motion-sensitive remote doubles as a slingshot-like controller, which you deploy from the couch to showcase peevish pigs and birds gone ballistic on the biggest display in your home. Now, that’s entertainment. Squawk.