About Carts and Hand Trucks
Carts and hand trucks make it easier to move boxes, heavy equipment, and other bulky items from one place to another, but they're also critical if you regularly move fragile lighting equipment. They're available in a range of sizes and configurations to meet a variety of needs. Whether you're moving equipment from one facility to another or you need to transport lights on a regular basis, a hand cart is easier and often safer than simply lifting and carrying.
Types of Hand Trucks
There are many types of carts and hand trucks to choose from, for different types of moving applications. These include:
- Convertible hand trucks: Convertible hand tracks can be configured to roll at an angle or flat, usually by means of locking pins. Some even convert into other pieces of equipment, such as stepladders or seats.
- Flatbed hand trucks: These feature a single flat bed, and sometimes folding handles, making them ideal for holding larger equipment or loads that easily stack, such as hard cases.
- Outdoor carts and wagons: Some wagons and carts are built specifically for outdoor use, using fabric, frames, and wheels that work well on uneven terrain, and can stand up to the elements.
- Platform carts: Platform carts are often designed for larger loads, and some have multiple shelves.
Cart and Hand Truck Features and Functions
Consider the weight of your cargo to ensure that it doesn't exceed the maximum weight capacity of the cart. Some hold small loads of up to 200 pounds, while others support as much as 700 pounds. There are also different wheel types to choose from, such as no-flat tires that don't require filling with air. Tires made of microcellular foam are non-marking, making them safer for office floors.
Many hand trucks have multiple functions or can be configured in more than one way. A convertible hand truck can be pushed along at an inclined angle for moving smaller boxes, or laid flat for larger loads, such as bulky lamp cases or heavy boxes. Some use folding mechanisms while others use locking pins to hold handles in place. If you are moving about in an area where you need to make a lot of turns, consider carts with features that keep loads more secure such as elastic cords. A folding hand truck offers the convenience of saving space in storage when not in use.
What Accessories Are Available for Hand Trucks?
While many hand trucks offer everything you need in a single unit, accessories are available for customization and enhancement.
- Individual wheels for replacements, upgrade, using as spares, or switching out for use across carpet or hard floors
- Shelves can double the storage space of a flatbed or platform cart, allowing you to carry a greater number of boxes or other items
- Bags that attach to cart handles make it easier to carry equipment that won't easily lay flat
- A row of hangers can prevent power cords and other cables from tangling
Note that while some hand cart accessories are universal and can be used for nearly any truck, others are designed for specific models, so make sure you double-check size and fit for compatibility.
Use a heavy duty hand cart for moving filing cabinets, computers, photo equipment, and other items at home, school, or work. Whatever your needs, B&H Photo and Video has a wide selection so you can pick the best tool for the job.