The black Nikon 1 AW1 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a compact mirrorless camera designed specifically for use in some of the harshest conditions and for underwater shooting. Its rugged, weather-sealed construction is waterproof to 49.2' and shockproof to withstand falls from up to 6.6'. Other key elements incorporated within the body further enhance its use in trying conditions, including sealed and lockable compartment covers, underwater-specific color compensation settings, a wide range of environmental sensing functions, and a dedicated Action control button for intuitive motion-based selection of certain camera settings.
In regard to imaging, the 1 AW1 features a CX-format 14.2MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 3A image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD video recording with tremendous speed and notable low-light sensitivity to support working with in a wide array of shooting scenarios. Full-resolution continuous shooting with full-time AF is supported up to 15 fps, or, when the focus is locked after the first frame, an incredibly quick 60 fps shooting rate can be achieved. An advanced hybrid AF system employs both contrast- and phase-detection focusing methods in order to acquire focus both quickly and accurately and will automatically switch between to the two focusing types depending on the detected scene type.
Enhancing the imaging capabilities are a set of shooting modes designed to isolate key frames in an automatic and intuitive way through the use of successive shooting and intelligent detection to determine the best frame within a series. In-camera panoramic and HDR imagery is possible as well as multi-medium imagery via the unique Motion Snapshot mode, which integrates slow motion video along with a single still frame.
Included with the camera body are the black 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent field of view of 30-74mm, and the black 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent field of view of 27mm. Together, these lenses cover wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to support working in a wide array of shooting conditions. Both lenses feature the same robust build quality as the camera body and both integrate aspherical elements and protective glass elements to minimize various aberrations throughout the zoom range and maintain a sense of security when using either lens in inclement conditions.
While highly robust, the body is also designed with contemporary styling in mind by way of a high-grade metallic exterior, stainless steel front panel, sturdy strap hooks, and softly rounded edges that are both aesthetic and functional in regard to preserving the overall durability. A textured, non-slip grip has been added to the front of the camera to better support use in rigorous shooting situations. Large buttons and a well-spaced layout contribute to intuitive control and double-lock compartment covers significantly reduce the likelihood of accidental opening for greater peace of mind.
There is no optical low-pass filter within the camera's design, enabling the image sensor to attain the greatest amount of detail and sharpness to present clean imagery with smooth color gradations and tonality. The sensor also contributes significantly to the hybrid focusing system for improved response and accuracy to support working with a variety of subject types.
The image processor contributes to efficient processing of photos and movies and also handles speed and memory-intensive tasks, such as Smart Photo Selector and Motion Snapshot modes, simultaneous photo and movie recording, and continuous shooting up to 60 fps.
The 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 incorporates a wide zoom ring for enhanced tactility and handling support. One aspherical element and one extra-low dispersion element work together to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range and one protective glass element maintains a sense of security when using this lens in trying conditions. The 10mm f/2.8 exhibits a more compact, minimal design than the zoom lens and also utilizes one aspherical element and one protective glass element to enhance image quality and offer reinforced protection to the lens when in use.
Motion Snapshot is a unique mode that works to enhance still imagery by appending four seconds of slow motion video, set to selected music, to the file to provide a multimedia image that adds a greater sense of drama and continuity to imagery. Motion Snapshots are created in-camera but can also be modified during post-production by using the included Short Movie Creator or Nikon Movie Editor software.
Rounding out the movie mode is the ability to simultaneously record both still photos and HD movies without skipping frames within the movie. When shooting video the shutter release button can be pressed at any time in order to take a high-resolution still image with the same applied exposure settings to provide a greater sensor of continuity between imagery.
- An altimeter/depth gauge allows users to check altitude from -1640.4' to +14,763.8' in 3.3' increments.
- The electronic compass helps to find specific directions and adds this information to the image's EXIF data when using either the 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 or 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens.
- The virtual horizon is an objective means to aid in registering perfectly level horizons and plumb verticals when shooting.
- GPS (Global Positioning System) and GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) support helps to improve locational accuracy and speed for recording this information within an image's EXIF data. This geotagging functionality can be further enhanced with the included ViewNX 2 software for precisely plotting images on a virtual map based on where they were taken.
- The 1 AW1 is also compatible with the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter (not water- or shock-proof) for easy transferring of files between the camera and a linked mobile device for instant sharing possibilities. This mobile adapter also supports the use of a mobile device for remote live view monitoring and control over the camera's shutter release. Also aiding in sharing of imagery, photos and movies can be sent directly to the NIKON IMAGE SPACE, which provides users with 20GB of space for sharing and storing images.