The black Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 Digital Camera is a compact point-and-shoot digital camera featuring an 18.1MP High Sensitivity MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor to enable high-resolution still imaging and full HD 1080p video recording with marked low-light quality and sensitivity to an expandable ISO 6400. Fast performance is also afforded throughout the camera system, including the ability to record full-resolution imagery at up to 10 fps or 5 fps with continuous AF.
Complementing the imaging performance of the camera is the built-in Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x optical zoom lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm to suit working in a wide variety of situations. Aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements help to produce sharp, high contrast imagery and also work to minimize aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range. Benefitting the extensive zooming capabilities of this lens is HYBRID O.I.S.+ image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake to better support working with greater zoom magnifications or longer shutter speeds.
For live view monitoring and image review, both a large 3.0" 920k-dot LCD screen and 0.2" 200k-dot electronic viewfinder are available. These viewing means also provide intuitive menu navigation for applying a host of camera settings, including Creative Control modes and Creative Panorama, as well as accessing the built-in Wi-Fi functionality with GPS capabilities. This connectivity enables instant transferring of photos or movies to linked mobile devices, remote shooting and viewing, and geotagging abilities. Further rounding out the versatile design of the camera is a Control Ring, which surrounds the lens to provide intuitive and efficient access and adjustment to some of the most oft-used camera settings and features.
Additionally, the processor contributes to a quick start-up time and the Light Speed AF system, which features a high-speed 240 fps actuator for the AF drive to produce faster focusing performance throughout the zoom range.
The lens construction integrates five aspherical elements, with 10 aspherical surfaces, and three extra-low dispersion elements to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range while also contributing to overall image sharpness and clarity.
Additionally, the Level Shot Function can automatically detect the horizontal line of the recording image and keep it level during recording, regardless of camera tilt, helping to achieve greater shooting stability.
The full 30x range of the optical zoom lens can be used during movie recording, which benefits from the HYBRID O.I.S.+ system to render smooth, shake-free videos. Additionally, high-speed HD 720p movie recording is possible with a sensor output frame rate of 120 fps.
Also offering versatility during use is a Control Ring, which surrounds the lens, and offers intuitive, tactile control over some of the most frequently used camera settings, such as manual focusing, zoom, aperture, shutter speed, and Creative Control filter selections. When working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to highlight edges of contrast to aid in achieving precisely-focused imagery. Benefitting image composition, a series of guides can be used during shooting with either the LCD or LVF, including: Rule of Thirds Offset, Diagonal Lines, Tunnel, Radiation 1, Radiation 2, and S-shape. Additionally, an electronic level gauge is available to help with precise alignment of horizontal and vertical lines during shooting.
- iA (Intelligent Auto) mode automatically sets all camera exposure settings using a variety of shooting-assist functions, such as i-Food mode and Intelligent Handheld Night Shot, to clearly render the scene at hand, allowing you to simply compose and shoot. Furthermore, iA Plus mode lets you adjust background defocusing, exposure compensation, and white balance settings for even more control.
- Creative Control provides 15 different filter effects for modifying the appearance of your images: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Star Filter, and One Point Color. Additionally, many of these filters can be used during video recording.
- Creative Panorama mode automatically stitches together multiple images taken while swiveling the camera in order to realize one wide-spanning horizontal or vertical image.
- The included rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be conveniently charged in-camera using either an AC or USB power source and allows approximately 350 images to be recorded per charge.
- Language support: English and Spanish.