The AR102 102mm Achromatic Refractor Telescope from Explore Scientific features a doublet achromatic lens system which virtually eliminates chromatic and spherical aberrations. This translates to a distortion-free viewing experience with true color rendition across the entire field of view.
The scope uses a heavy-duty 2" Crayford-style focuser. Unlike a traditional rack-and-pinion focuser, a Crayford-style uses a steel rod held tightly against the focus tube. This toothless friction system eliminates backlash and enables ultra-fine precision focusing. The combination of aberration-free optics, precision focusing and a fast f/6.5 focal ratio make this telescope ideally suited for wide-field astrophotography and astroimaging.
A mounting cradle-ring clamps over optical tube assembly (OTA), and lets the user adjust the orientation and position of the scope relative to the mount to optimize viewing comfort and balancing, while avoiding interference with other equipment. The scope is offered without a mount or tripod, but a Vixen-style dovetail plate makes it compatible with any mount head with a Vixen-style saddle.
- Aperture: 102mm
- Focal ratio: f/6.5
- Focal length: 663mm
- Refractor-style optical design
- Low dispersion achromatic doublet lens system
- Achromatic lenses eliminate chromatic and spherical aberrations for true color rendition and without distortion across the entire field of view
- 8x50 non-illuminated finderscope with quick-release bracket
- 2" diameter focuser
- Dual-speed Crayford-style
- Crayford focusers use a toothless friction system that allows for super-fine precision focusing without backlash
- Large 2" drawtube prevents vignetting when using wide-field eyepieces for viewing, or large imaging sensors for astrophotography
- 2"-to-1.25" reducer adapter allows the use of the more common 1.25" eyepieces and accessories
- User-supplied mount and tripod required
- Vixen-style dovetail plate included
- Compatible with any alt-az or equatorial mount with a Vixen-style saddle
- Cradle-ring assembly for plate allows the scope orientation to be changed based on mount configuration
- Integrated carry handle on cradle-ring assembly
- One-piece 90° star diagonal for more comfortable viewing, especially nearing the zenith
- Diagonal mirror has highly-reflective dielectric coatings for up to 99% light transmission