The Sony Alpha a77 II DSLR Camera is a versatile and advanced digital camera featuring a 24.3MP APS-C-sized Exmor CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor to produce high-resolution still images and Full HD movies with marked low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 25600. Beyond notable imaging traits, the image processor also lends itself to continuous shooting up to 12 fps for up to 26 RAW frames. The processor and sensor combination are also significantly benefitted by the unique Translucent Mirror Technology, which effectively directs light to both the image sensor and focus sensor simultaneously. This enables the expansive 79-point AF system, which includes 15 cross-type points, to work continuously even while recording video and photographing in a continuous shooting mode.
For live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation, both a large rear monitor and detailed electronic viewfinder are available. The 3.0" 1,228k-dot LCD screen features a three-way tilting design to facilitate easier use from both high and low angles and also incorporates WhiteMagic technology for easier viewing in bright conditions. The 0.5" 2.359k-dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF offers 100% frame coverage and a refined optical design to provide a natural viewing perspective and magnification. The dust- and moisture-sealed magnesium alloy body also houses a configurable user interface, built around several customizable buttons and control dials, for efficient and intuitive access to frequently used camera settings. Additionally, a Multi-Interface shoe is available for attaching external flashes, lights, or microphones.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, with support for NFC-enabled devices, is also integrated into the a77 II to support remote camera control and image sharing to linked mobile devices.
24.3MP APS-C Exmor Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
The BIONZ X processor also contributes to providing a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 12 fps for up to 26 RAW frames and Full HD 1080i/p video recording in multiple frame rates.
Translucent Mirror Technology
79-Point Wide-Coverage AF System
For further refinement, a series of distinct AF modes can be selected from depending on the subject. Eye AF is a detail-oriented focusing function that can prioritize a subject's pupil and dedicate focusing performance on that for sharply-rendered portraits; Lock-on AF is a dedicated focusing method for use with moving subjects and adjusts the target frame size as the subject moves throughout the image frame; and AF Range Control permits the selection of a dedicated focusing distance range for faster performance and greater accuracy. Additionally, five-step AF Tracking Duration allows the setting of focus speed and performance based on the specific scene type and subject matter.
Full HD Video Recording
Benefitting advanced video applications, clean HDMI output is available for recording uncompressed video via an optional external recorder. Complementing full P/A/S/M exposure control, a Zebra function can be used for easier detection of exposure clipping to prevent overexposure and focus peaking is also supported for more refined manual focus accuracy. Additionally, both Quick AF and three distinct AF Tracking Duration steps can be used for acquiring and maintaining critical focus on subjects during recording.
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
XGA OLED Tru-Finder and Tilting WhiteMagic LCD Screen
For larger-scale monitoring, a 3.0" 1,228k-dot LCD is also available and features a three-way tilting design to benefit working from high and low angles. WhiteMagic technology is utilized within the screen's design, which produces greater effective brightness for easier use in sunlit conditions.
A Multi-Interface accessory shoe has also been incorporated into the camera's design, which, aside from permitting the use of optional external flashes, also provides support for a range of accessories, including video lights and external microphones.
Other Camera Features
- SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift type image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake with any mounted lens when recording still images, with the results visible in both the EVF and on the rear LCD monitor. When recording video, electronic image stabilization is available to reduce camera shake.
- An advanced 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor delivers consistent and accurate results using multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes.
- Auto Object Framing is an intelligent shooting mode that can automatically analyze the scene and subjects within it and determine an aesthetically-pleasing composition. The subsequent imagery will be cropped according to subject matter, resulting in a well-balanced composition that utilizes Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure high image quality and sharpness.
- Clear Image Zoom can be used to magnify the center of scenes by 2x to effectively extend the reach of any focal length lens. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- Picture Effect modes allow you to apply creative settings and emphasize certain facets of individual images for a richer, more aesthetic picture quality. Posterization (Color/B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration modes are available.
- Multi Frame NR records consecutive images at a reduced ISO sensitivity and then composites them into a single image to realize higher effective sensitivity with minimal image noise. Standard image compositing is comprised of four exposures and High image compositing utilizes 12 distinct exposures.
- Creative Style settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on six different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
- Auto HDR automatically records three sequential frames of an image and composites them into a single frame to realize greater shadow and highlight detail with an extended range of mid-tones.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve images featuring backlit subjects or scenes with high contrast where details can be lost in the shadows or highlights. This mode can be controlled automatically or fine-tuned using five settings.
- In-camera creation of 4K slide shows is possible for rich playback to ultra high definition televisions. An HDMI port is incorporated into the camera's design, too, to enable direct connection to HDTVs.
- TRILUMINOS Color support is supported to produce rich, natural colors when imagery is viewed on a TRILUMINOS Display.