Marrying minimalist design elements with celebrated image quality, the silver chrome Leica M-P (Typ 240) Digital Rangefinder Camera pairs a full-frame image sensor with the quality and tradition Leica's reputation was founded upon. Featuring a MAX 24MP CMOS sensor and Maestro image processor, the M-P realizes rich image quality with low noise levels and smooth color and tonal gradations. The sensor and processor combine to also avail a top sensitivity of ISO 6400, full HD 1080p movie recording and 3 fps shooting for up to 24 consecutive frames. Unique among digital cameras, this camera maintains Leica's preference for a rangefinder design and incorporates a 0.68x optical viewfinder with split and superimposed manual focusing, automatic parallax correction, and manual image field selection. Conversely, the camera also features a 3.0" 920k-dot LCD with sapphire glass covering to maintain the overall durability of the magnesium alloy and brass body. Distinguishing itself through unobtrusiveness, the M-P also carries the select designation of no front-facing Leica logos in favor of an engraved Leica script on the top plate.
As with past M-series cameras, the M-P retains the ability to utilize the vast network of M-mount lenses and is also compatible with Leica R-mount lenses via an optional adapter. When working in live view, and since focusing operation is entirely manual, focus peaking and 10x live view zoom can be utilized to ensure critical focus. An ergonomic body design places all of the necessary camera controls within reach during shooting, including top shutter speed and drive mode dials, as well as rear menu navigation buttons and selection dial located atop the thumb rest. The rugged metal body also integrated rubber seals throughout its design to render the M-P dust- and weather-resistant for sustained use in trying conditions.
This image processor also facilitates faster overall performance, and works in conjunction with a 2GB image buffer for longer sustained shooting sequences of 3 fps for up to 24 consecutive frames.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 47.1mm (mechanical metering basis 69.25 mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.68x).
This monitor features a scratch-resistant protective cover made from sapphire crystal glass for added durability and protection. Furthermore, anti-reflective coatings are used on both sides of the covering glass for greater visibility in bright light conditions.
- Designed to accept all M-mount lenses, Leica R-mount lenses are also compatible through the use of an optional R to M adapter.
- A download version of Adobe Lightroom is made available after purchase, and is ideally suited to processing of the M-P's DNG RAW image files.
- Up to four sets of camera and exposure settings can be saved under a user-selected profile name and rapidly retrieved whenever required. For added convenience, these profiles can be saved to an SD card.
- Exposure Bracketing of 3 or 5 frames at 0.5, 1, 2 and 3 EV steps.
- Different film modes are available to refine the appearance of imagery, as well as saturation, contrast, and sharpening settings.
- Language support: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean