The MOVI M15 3-Axis Motorized Gimbal Stabilizer from Freefly is a camera stabilization system that uses three motors and an IMU (inertial measurement unit) to detect and counteract unwanted movement along three axes: pan, tilt, and roll. In particular, it works to compensate for handshake or vehicle-induced vibration as well as reduce translation.
The M15 supports payloads up to 15 pounds, making it suitable for professional cinema cameras with lenses, as well as smaller camcorders and DSLRs. There is a quick-release adapter available separately so that it can be mounted on cranes, jibs, vehicles mounts, and other camera support equipment. The M15 is also Wi-Fi enabled, allowing for simple, wireless pairing with iOS, Android, and Windows apps.
The system supports single- or dual-operator control. In single user (Majestic) mode, the system's software intelligently differentiates unwanted shake or vibration from intentional movement, such as panning, while keeping the horizon level. Alternatively, you can have a dedicated operator (Stabilized Slew mode) with a remote control or RC transmitter who is in charge of camera pan, tilt--and if you want--roll. In this configuration, the camera will always point where the operator of the remote tells it to, independent of how the rig operator moves.
As with sled-style stabilizers, the camera should be balanced on the MOVI to ensure best performance. Once balanced, the MOVI pairs over Wi-Fi to an iOS, Android, or Windows app to finalize the configuration process.
Two lithium-polymer (LiPo) batteries and a charger are included, as well as a quick-release top handle for low-angle shooting or transporting the assembled rig on set.
- Majestic Mode: For single-operator use. In this mode the gimbal provides stabilization without counteracting operator-directed camera movements--the camera goes where you point the handles. This mode is ideal for accurate framing in tight situations
- Stabilized Mode: Assumes no operator input, compensating for all movement it detects. Ideal scenarios for this mode include when the gimbal is mounted to a car or shots where the camera is moving but the camera angle remains fixed
- Slew Stabilized Mode: For dual-operator control. In this mode an operator with a dedicated remote or RC transmitter controls pan, tilt, and roll independently of the gimbal handler's movements.
- Custom designed, precisely calibrated sensors
- Fully tool-less balancing
- Second battery cage of holding a battery dedicated to powering accessories
- Handles can be switch from low to high modes with flip of a lever
- Quick-release top handle