A first for Nikon DSLR cameras, the black D5500 incorporates a touchscreen LCD monitor, giving you greater camera control. It features a 24.2 megapixel sensor and an EXPEED 4 image processor that provide high-resolution images and Full HD 1080p video with notable low-light sensitivity up to ISO 25600 and up to 5 fps. The optical low-pass filter is omitted from the sensor, allowing for additional sharpness in both photos and videos. The D5500 has a 39-point autofocus system with nine cross-type sensors and a 2,016-pixel RGB sensor for precise exposure metering in a wide variety of lighting conditions. Full HD videos can be shot at multiple frame rates up to 60 fps, with full-time continuous auto focusing capabilities. The D5500 also has selectable audio frequency ranges - Wide and Voice. It also has a built-in intervalometer to record up to 9,999 consecutive exposures at variable intervals.
The redesigned camera body is slightly smaller and lighter than its predecessor, and incorporates both an optical pentamirror optical viewfinder along with a large 3.2" 1,037k-dot vari-angle touchscreen LCD monitor, which features a 180° swivel design to better support working from high and low angles. A variety of touchscreen functions allow you to pinch to zoom, navigate menus, choose settings, and choose your focus point. An eye sensor turns the LCD monitor on and off, enables a Touch function, and starts the playback funtion when your eye moves away from the viewfinder.
Built-in Wi-Fi enables advanced image sharing capabilities, and when paired with an Android or iOS mobile device, remote viewing and control over the shutter release is possible from a distance.
A wide range of Picture Control modes, Scene Modes, and Special Effects modes are available as well as in-camera image editing capabilities for adjusting settings prior to sharing. Built-in HDR and Active D-Lighting modes can also be used to optimize exposure results by preserving highlight and shadow details for an extended range of apparent tones.
Included with the D5500 is the DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens, a general-purpose zoom lens featuring a retractable barrel for a compact, lightweight design. The lens has a 35mm equivalent zoom range of 27-82.5mm, making it useful in a wide variety of shooting conditions.
When working in live view, for either still or movie shooting, a contrast-based AF system is employed to acquire focus precisely and can function in continuous, full-time servo mode to better suit working with moving subjects. Additionally, four AF-area modes are available when working in live view: Face-priority AF, Wide-area AF, Normal-area AF, and Subject-tracking AF.
Touchscreen functions include:
A built-in pop-up flash is also available for additional illumination when working in low-light conditions and supports Nikon's i-TTL flash metering system. A hot shoe can be used for connection and optional external flash for even greater lighting control.
A built-in stereo microphone can be used to record high-quality sound or, alternatively, a microphone input is integrated into the body design to support the use of an external microphone for enhanced control over audio recordings.
- Eye Sensor: Turns monitor on or off, enables Touch function, starts Playback
- Live View Image Adjustments: Picture Control, white balance, exposure compensation
- Permits unlimited continuous shooting with shutter speeds between 4 and 30 seconds for star trail-like imagery
- Vignette control
- White LCD info screen
- Picture Control modes can be directly accessed via a dedicated button and allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera, and include Standard, Neutral, Monochrome, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape and Flat, and can be adjusted in 0.25 steps for fine control.
- RAW (NEF) files can be recorded as lossless compressed or compressed at either 12 or 14-bit depth.
- Built-in HDR works to extend the tonal and exposure range of a single image by recording two separate exposures and blending them together in order to gain greater highlight and shadow details with an extended range of mid-tones.
- Active D-Lighting helps to preserve both highlight and shadow details when working in contrast-rich scenarios, such as backlit lighting. Utilizing the EXPEED 4 processor's power, a more controlled image will be produced with brightness values closer to how they are naturally seen. This mode is suitable for working with moving subjects.
- Scene Auto Selector is an automatic mode that intelligently identifies your subject and shooting scenario, selects a proper Scene Mode to apply, and adjusts exposure settings to best render the scene at hand.
- Scene Modes: Autumn Colors, Beach / Snow, Blossom, Candlelight, Child, Close-up, Dusk / Dawn, Food, Landscape, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Party / Indoor, Pet Portrait, Portrait, Sports, and Sunset.
- Special Effects Modes: Night vision, Color sketch, Toy camera, Miniature effect, Selective color, Silhouette, High key, Low key, HDR Painting, Super Vivid, POP, and Photo Illustration.