Capture images and Full HD video at 200' beneath the surface with your Nikon D5500 DSLR camera, thanks to this Ikelite Underwater Housing. It has built-in, proprietary circuitry and an Ikelite bulkhead strobe connector, allowing for TTL exposure with optional, external Ikelite DS Substrobes attached via sync cord. Non-Ikelite strobes are compatible in manual mode. Mechanical controls afford access to all important camera functions.
The housing includes an aluminum mounting tray with dual quick-release handles, which improve balance and give you attachment points for optional lighting arms. Built for durability, the enclosure is constructed from corrosion-resistant polycarbonate, which is clear to allow you to monitor the O-ring seal and the camera. It is designed, made by hand, and tested in the USA.
The housing is shipped without a required lens port and accepts one of several interchangeable ports for various lenses. For compatibility, see Port Finder and Charts. Additionally, the optional Straight and 45-Degree Magnified Optical Viewfinders enhance your view through your camera's OVF and provide greater long-term comfort.
- Features a depth rating of 200'
- Designed, made by hand, and tested in USA
- Manufactured from durable, corrosion-resistant polycarbonate, which is clear to allow you to monitor O-ring seal and maintain full view of camera
- Aluminum 1/4"-20 threaded top mount for attaching lightweight accessories, such as lighting arms
Strobe Connection and Operation
- Built-in, proprietary circuitry and an Ikelite bulkhead strobe connector allow for TTL exposure with optional, external Ikelite DS Substrobes attached via sync cords
- Non-Ikelite strobes are compatible in manual mode
- Hard-wired sync cable connection means camera's flash does not need to fire, unlike a fiber-optic connection
- Sync connection eliminates shutter lag, since you don't need to wait for camera's flash to recycle, and also saves battery life and reduces heat build-up inside housing
- Solves slave TTL strobe issues of signal interference, inconsistent exposure, and false triggering caused by other light sources
- Exposure adjustments can be made directly through controls on rear of housing
- Tweak TTL exposure or take total manual control without taking your hand off the housing
- Access plus/minus exposure compensation in TTL mode, plus manual power settings in half-stop increments
- Ikelite DS50, above serial number 70000
- DS125, above serial number 5000
- Non-Ikelite strobes in manual mode only
Controls and Handling
- Mechanical controls, including push-buttons, knurled dials, and levers, afford access to all camera functions except for diopter adjustment control and flash mode/compensation button
- Includes an aluminum mounting tray with dual quick-release handles, which improve balance and give you attachment points for optional lighting arms
- Shipped without a required lens port and accepts one of several interchangeable dome and flat ports for various lenses
- See Port Chart linked above for compatibility
- An over-sized knob engages the universal zoom gears smoothly
- Two zoom gear sets included: one for most popular lenses with large diameters, and another for those with smaller diameters
- Ports attach via four locking latches for maximum security and quick changes between dives