The VENTURA from A-Designs is a solid-state microphone preamplifier and EQ that captures the sound of the legendary Quad Eight Pacifica console, offering a big, warm tone without being dark, and a sweet, open top end. Designed to be a front end for DAW setups, the VENTURA provides crystal clear and transparent audio with dimensionality, air, and extended bass. Drive the unit a little harder, and it provides a more aggressive sound, while still retaining full bandwidth tonal clarity.
At the heart of the VENTURA lies the specially designed discrete transistor operational amplifier that's powered off of a ±30 VDC rail. The op-amp offers high-gain, fast-slew, and a stable audio block with virtually no DC offset over the audio spectrum. The circuit is capable of driving a 50 ohm load at 50 Hz with extremely low current draw. Additionally, the VENTURA utilizes audiophile-quality components, silver-contact toggle switches, and gold Neutrik XLR connectors.
The mic pre uses Cinemag input and output transformers in a single stage design and features phase reverse, -20 dB pad, +48V phantom power, and a gain control. The preamp simultaneously feeds the EQ section and a dedicated preamp output. The 3-band parametric EQ features 33 frequencies grouped into three bands of overlapping ranges from 50 Hz to 15 kHz, while the dual concentric knobs also offer ±12 dB of boost or cut. Each band also offers a Q switch for fixed positions: Sharp, Wide, Normal. Additionally, the low and high bands are switchable from peak to shelving filters. Another set of switches set the specially tuned 2nd order high and low pass filters that are available independent of the EQ.
The front-panel DI input feeds a dedicated instrument preamp that is separate from the mic pre and is designed to counteract the undesirable effects of guitar/bass pick loading. The instrument preamp also feeds the EQ and preamp output simultaneously. The VENTURA ships with an IEC power cord.
- Transparent, solid-state mic preamplifier with 72 dB gain; instrument preamp; and true, 3-band parametric EQ with high- and low-pass filters
- Mic preamp, EQ, and instrument preamp can be used together or independently
- Three specially designed discrete C12X operational amplifiers
- Cinemag input and output transformers
- Toroidal power transformer
- Balanced TRS insert return/EQ input
- Separate gain controls for mic and instrument inputs
- -20 dB pad, +48 VDC phantom power with red LED indicator, phase switch, and on/off switch with blue LED indicator
- Balanced gold Neutrik XLR input, direct, and main output connectors
- Silver-contact, high-durability toggle switches with no relays
- Hand-built in the USA with audiophile-quality components including high-tolerance metal film resistors and high-quality polystyrene, polypropylene, COG, and bi-polar capacitors
- Single rackspace steel chassis