The HM2 Nail from A-Designs is a solid state/tube hybrid, dual-channel compressor/limiter with advanced circuitry for infinite sound-shaping possibilities and well suited for tracking, mixing, and mastering. The musically transparent compressor utilizes hand-selected tubes and top-grade components specifically chosen to compliment and enrich the extended bandwidth. The HM2 can add character to any signal from gentle, subtle background compression to full-on squashing, and anything in-between.
Three circuits work in tandem to provide the unique control over the compressor's settings. Threshold allows precise control over the amount of compression, while the Hard Threshold sets the level at which it engages. The Filter works as a built-in frequency-dependent side-chain circuit that prevents the compressor from overreacting to bass-heavy content. The Attack and Release settings are also dependent on the Hard Threshold and respond dynamically to program material, allowing for more flexible and musical results. The Mix knob provides continuously variable control between the direct (dry) and compressed signals, enabling parallel compression without the need for busing or using auxiliary tracks.
Additional features include an In/Out toggle for A/B comparisons, a Stereo Link On/Off toggle, and LED dual-ladder indicator switchable from level to gain reduction. The enclosure features a retro-modern look with a black, custom-milled faceplate and brushed aluminum knobs, a heavy-duty Carling toggle power switch, and a large red jewel power indicator. The HM2-Nail ships with an IEC power cord.
- Solid state/tube hybrid design combines high performance with rich sound
- Dual channel with switchable stereo link or dual mono modes
- Mix control lets you blend wet/dry signal for parallel compression
- Hard Threshold and Filter let you select amount of compression and frequency (to 250 Hz) to prevent mix from being “dragged down” by LF energy
- Custom-milled aluminum knobs
- Custom-milled aluminum faceplate
- LED Indicators switchable to stereo
- Gain-reduction switch for meters
- 2U rackmount
- Balanced XLR outputs
- Carling toggle power switch
- Red jewel power indicator
- In/out switch