Styled after the industry standard UREI LA-3A, The Golden Age Project COMP-3A is a one-channel compressor and audio leveler which seeks to update the classic design with, among other things, a high-pass side-chain knob. It utilizes an electro-luminescent panel and a photoelectric cell to control overall levels. The resulting compression carries the characteristics of continuously-variable, program-dependent operation: a noticeable and colorful effect, rather than a transparent curtailing of the dynamic range.
The COMP-3A uses independent resistors, capacitors, and transistors to achieve this desired effect, and features separate transformer-balanced input and output stages which can handle almost any load, be it balanced or unbalanced. Additionally, should you choose to purchase two units (quite often cheaper than buying one of a similar style), you can daisy-chain them together via a link jack and switch to achieve stereo compression.
- Discrete components; no integrated circuits in the signal path
- Transformer-balanced input and output stages
- Classic T4-style electro-optical attenuator controls gain with program-dependent attack and release times
- HF-knob for side-chaining compression to mid/high frequency
- Meter selectable between gain reduction or output; two different reference levels provided
- XLR and 1/4" TRS jacks
- External power supply for further circuitry isolation
- 2 RU half-rack format can be mounted with UNITE-BIG 19-inch rack kit (available separately)