Making entry-level more appealing is Sony's Alpha a68 DSLR Camera which offers many features found in bigger, pricier options, but in a compact and well-designed format. Key improvements to image quality come from the implementation of a 24.2MP APS-C Exmor CMOS sensor and the BIONZ X processor, which combine their energies to produce highly detailed images at sensitivities up to ISO 25600 and at continuous rates up to 8 fps. Also, thanks to the use of Sony's Translucent Mirror Technology, continuous AF can be maintained during shooting and now with the 4D FOCUS system integrated into this model. This system is speedy and accurate, utilizing a wide array of 79 phase-detect AF points with 15 cross-type points that work at down to -2 EV.
Benefitting image quality is SteadyShot INSIDE, which offers a sensor-shift type image stabilization to limit the effects of camera shake. This in-body system also has the advantage of being compatible with all A-mount lenses as it doesn't have to rely on lens designs providing the IS. In addition to stills, the a68 offers Full HD 1080p video at 30 fps using the efficient XAVC S format at 50 Mbps for high quality filmmaking needs. Additionally, video has accurate and fast constant tracking AF through the use of the Translucent Mirror Technology.
The body design has received a major upgrade with the addition of a top display panel and a rear control wheel that make viewing and changing settings a much more intuitive process. Composing images has multiple options, including a 0.39" 1,440k-dot OLED Tru-Finder for real-time imaging with rich color and contrast. For a larger viewing area, the 2.7" 460.8k-dot rear LCD is available and can tilt up or down for working in unusual shooting positions.
24.2MP APS-C Exmor Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
Translucent Mirror Technology
SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
79-Point Wide-Coverage AF System
For further refinement, a series of distinct AF modes can be selected from depending on the subject. Eye AF is a detail-oriented focusing function that can prioritize a subject's pupil and dedicate focusing performance on that for sharply-rendered portraits; Lock-on AF is a dedicated focusing method for use with moving subjects and adjusts the target frame size as the subject moves throughout the image frame; and AF Range Control permits the selection of a dedicated focusing distance range for faster performance and greater accuracy. Additionally, five-step AF Tracking Duration allows the setting of focus speed and performance based on the specific scene type and subject matter.
Full HD Video Recording
OLED Tru-Finder and Tilting LCD Screen
For larger-scale monitoring, a 2.7" 460.8k-dot LCD is also available and features a tilting design to benefit working from high and low angles. This tilting design allows users to tilt it upwards 135° and downwards 55°.
A Multi Interface Shoe has also been incorporated into the camera's design, which, aside from permitting the use of optional external flashes, also provides support for a range of accessories, including video lights and external microphones.
Other Camera Features
- An advanced 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor delivers consistent and accurate results using multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes.
- Eye AF function will lock onto subjects eyes and track them during shooting ensuring portraits are always tack sharp.
- Auto Object Framing is an intelligent shooting mode that can automatically analyze the scene and subjects within it and determine an aesthetically-pleasing composition. The subsequent imagery will be cropped according to subject matter, resulting in a well-balanced composition that utilizes Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure high image quality and sharpness.
- Clear Image Zoom can be used to magnify the center of scenes by 2x to effectively extend the reach of any focal length lens. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- Multi Frame NR records consecutive images at a reduced ISO sensitivity and then composites them into a single image to realize higher effective sensitivity with minimal image noise. Standard image compositing is comprised of four exposures and High image compositing utilizes 12 distinct exposures.
- Creative Style settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on six different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve images featuring backlit subjects or scenes with high contrast where details can be lost in the shadows or highlights. This mode can be controlled automatically or fine-tuned using five settings.