Nikon has reimagined both on- and off-camera lighting with the SB-5000 AF Speedlight, which brings revolutionary radio control to the Creative Lighting System with Advanced Wireless Lighting and comes equipped with a world's first shoe-mounted flash cooling system that enables up to 100 consecutive full-power flashes. These features alone are enough to put it at the top of the speedlight heap, but the SB-5000 doesn't rest and provides a powerful guide number of 113' at ISO 100 and 35mm while also shrinking in overall size compared to its predecessors.
Of course, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight is fully compatible with Nikon's i-TTL automatic exposure system found in a majority of their cameras for fast, accurate operation. The radio control implemented in the SB-5000 requires a compatible camera using the WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter and WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller in order to fully realize the power of the system. This enables the camera and flash to wirelessly control up to six groups of flashes from up to 98' away, without requiring any line of sight. Also, the SB-5000 and the radio system are fully compatible with the existing optical triggering method of older units and can even be mixed and matched for maximum versatility.
Flash Design and Output
- Flash head tilts with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45 °, 60°, 75°, and 90° and rotates left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°, 150°, and 180°
- A first for shoe-mounted flashes, a built-in cooling system enables over 100 consecutive bursts at full output without overheating
- Running on four AA batteries, a quick recycle time of 1.8-2.6 seconds is possible. SB-5000 can also be powered via the optional SK-6 Power Bracket Unit and SD-9 High-Performance Battery Pack to further reduce recycle times and increase the number of flashes per charge
- Guide number of 113' at ISO 100 and 35mm or 180' at ISO 100 and 200mm
- Manual power output from 1/1 to 1/256
- Flash exposure compensation from -3 to +3 EV in 1/3 EV steps
- Flash duration of 1/980 to 1/30,820 second depending on output setting
- Full sync mode support is available with slow, high-speed, 1st and 2nd curtain options.
- Coverage of 14-24mm in FX when using built-in wide-angle diffusion panel
- Light distribution angle is automatically adjustable to the camera's image area in both FX and DX formats with standard, even, and center-weighted options
- Updated flash design includes a backlit rear LCD panel, a dedicated Info button for fast access to commonly adjusted settings, and an auxiliary PC terminal for additional wired triggering options
- Customize settings with Unified Flash Control using Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 software from a computer. Also, flash firmware can be updated through the camera
Wireless Flash Control
- Radio control Advanced Wireless Lighting when used with a D5 or D500 DSLR equipped with WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller and WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter
- Radio triggering range of 98' with no line-of-sight requirement and with control over 6 groups of flashes
- Wireless Commander TTL capabilities with both optical and radio trigger options
- Commander Mode to set up optical wireless flashes in 3 groups and in one of 4 channels
- Control and mix optical and radio flashes