Designed for wide-field skywatching with exceptional performance, the Vixen Optics 6.5x32 WP ED Astro Binoculars are optimized for nighttime viewing.
Multiple optical technologies are brought to the fore to boost image quality. These technologies begin with the use of extra-low dispersion (ED) glass for the objective lens elements and low-light absorption BK7 glass for the roof prisms. Next are specially-engineered 7-layer anti-reflection coatings, fully multi-coated on the optics, which are tuned specifically for starlight and for use in the dark for maximum light transmission, accurate color rendition, and improved contrast. The prisms have phase-correcting and highly-reflective dielectric coatings which work together to boost light transmission through the prisms to greater than 99%, and eliminate color fringing, and further improve clarity and contrast across the expansive field of view. All these features, when coupled with its relatively low 6.5x magnification, present the user with an immersive observational experience with bright and clear expansive views, and accurate color representation.
Complementing the optical performance is a unique focusing system that eliminates the common center focus/dioptric correction for individually-focusing eyepieces — this allows a level of precision that center focusing systems often are unable to achieve but is required to split fine binary stars and bring dim objects into sharp resolution. This variable-speed mechanism further improves focus precision by slowing down as it approaches infinity, to provide even finer-tuning of the focus process that single-speeds cannot give.
To withstand the rigors of outdoor use, the chassis is made of a lightweight and durable magnesium alloy that reduces weight, and the optical tubes are wrapped in a slip-resistant rubber armor. The optical tubes are nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme changes in temperature and environmental conditions. For extended observation sessions, the Astro can be tripod mounted using an optional adapter for hands-free use to reduce distracting hand-shake or vibrations, and eliminate arm fatigue.
- Relatively low atypical 6.5x power magnifies view while ensuring a wide field of view and exit pupil, and long eye relief
- Moderate 32mm objective lenses provide performance without adding excessive bulk
- Compact low-absorption BK7 roof prisms help to maximize light transmission through optical path
- Phase-correcting prism coatings increase contrast and clarity while eliminating halos and off-axis comas
- Highly-reflective silver and dielectric prism coatings transmit greater than 99% of light to limit internal light loss while maintaining image brightness, contrast, and clarity
- Extra-low dispersion glass corrects chromatic aberration to produce accurate colors without fringing
- 7-layer anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics are engineered specifically for nighttime astronomical use to produce neutral and accurate color fidelity, and improve contrast and image brightness
- Exceptional 473-foot field of view at 1000 yards minimizes the appearance of the distracting hand-shake that is common when holding optics, for clearer views
Use and Handling
- Short bridge placed to balance the center of gravity for a more comfortable feel in the hand
- Individual focusing eyepieces allow for precision focusing for tack-sharp images for most users, regardless of optical prescriptions
- Unique variable-speed focusing mechanism slows down the focus travel as it reaches infinity to improve focus precision during astronomical observations
- Integrated center guide-line on bridge enables users to sight small or dim objects before bringing optic to the face for faster subject acquisition and star-hopping navigation
- Broad 56-76mm interpupillary adjustment range enables easy use by a wide variety of users
- Twist-up eyecups for comfortable use with or without eyewear, so users with difficult prescriptions can more easily wear corrective lenses and use the binocular
- Tripod mountable with optional adapters for hands-free use to eliminate hand-shake/vibrations and arm fatigue, compatible with Vixen Type M, H, and MH
- Exceptional 20mm eye relief helps to reduce eye strain and improves viewing comfort
- Comfortable 4.9mm exit pupil will completely cover most pupils as they open and dilate in low light
- Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy chassis reduces overall weight without sacrificing strength or stability
- Nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed for waterproof performance in the rain, snow, and most other inclement conditions; and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes and environmental conditions
- Protective rubber armoring provides a slip-resistant grip, especially in cold and wet weather
- Includes soft carrying case and neck strap
- Weight: 21.5 ounces