An all-around Micro Four Thirds camera designed for photographers and videographers, the black Lumix DMC-GX85 from Panasonic features a compact build and intuitive layout, along with a feature-set to suit a multimedia lifestyle. Utilizing a 16MP Live MOS sensor, which lacks an optical low-pass filter for increased sharpness, the GX85 is capable of shooting continuously at up to 10 fps with single-shot autofocus, or 6 fps with continuous autofocus, as well as up to 40 fps when using an electronic shutter function. UHD 4K video recording is also supported in 30 and 24 fps frame rates, as well as Full HD 1080p, and the 4K recording abilities also permit shooting 8MP stills at a 30 fps rate. A sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 permits working in difficult and low-light settings while 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization also helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Spanning a broad range of features for both still and moving images, the GX85 is a versatile mirrorless camera further characterized by its sleek form factor and connected functionality.
Complementing the imaging attributes, the camera also incorporates both a 2.76m-dot electronic viewfinder as well as a 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which has a tilting design to better enable working from high and low angles. Built-in Wi-Fi is also integrated into the design, which facilitates wireless image transferring and remote camera control from linked smartphones or tablets.
Included with the camera body is the versatile Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. lens, which provides a 24-64mm equivalent focal length range. The lens is characterized by its sleek profile that pairs well with the camera body, and its optical design incorporates three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element to control a variety of aberrations and distortions. Additionally, a stepping AF motor is employed to provide quick, quiet, and accurate focusing performance to suit both stills and video recording applications.
16MP Live MOS Sensor
UHD 4K Video Recording
4K Photo Modes
- 4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8MP images at 30 fps for up to 29 min. 59 sec., making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- 4K Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- 4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Dual Image Stabilization
Depth-From-Defocus AF Technology
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- An integrated 2.76m-dot electronic viewfinder offers a bright, clear eye-level means for composing images, and features a 0.7x effective magnification.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0" 1.04m-dot rear OLED monitor has a tilting design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- Nine programmable function buttons can be used to control a wide variety of settings and tools.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets.
Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens
Other Camera Features
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a fast maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec., as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/160 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.