Vienna Dimension Strings II Standard Library from Vienna Symphonic Library is the sequel to Vienna Dimension Strings I, containing nearly all the same playing techniques, but with the string instruments exclusively recorded "con sordino" (with mutes). Playing with mutes dampens the transmission of energy from the strings to the body of the instrument and softens or darkens the sound. The effect perfectly suits intimate arrangements and emotional ballads, and when added to normal string sound, provides a broad, soft, and warm string environment.
The players were recorded in four homogeneous groups (eight violins, six violas, six cellos and four double basses), but with dedicated microphones for each player. Each string of each instrument was recorded in its full range (approximately one octave plus a fifth), and with the included presets it is easy to decide whether to have the musicians play on all strings (with a change to the next string in fifth intervals), or forced playing on a certain string. Or choose to play with no open strings.
When playing as a group, musicians continually adapt, matching timbre, intensity, vibrato, intonation, bow speed, and more. All these interactions happen automatically in a good ensemble, led by a good conductor, and reveal the "magic" of a live performance. With this library, individual changes in dynamic levels of the players within a group can be easily achieved with velocity crossfades. It is also possible to designate one or two "weak" musicians to play sloppy notes, with hesitant or delayed starts, for instance.
- Four muted string sections of eight violins, six violas, six cellos, and four double basses
- Recorded in groups but with individual microphones on each player, for performance flexibility
- Full playing range of each string captured (one octave plus a fifth)
- Sculpt the ensemble sound by adjusting level and position in the mix for each player, or desk, in order to create a personal string sound
- Assign individual controllers such as velocity crossfade and/or expression for each player for realistic dynamic changes and customized balance within the ensemble
- Ready-made presets for selecting the individual strings of each player of a group – "force strings" (all notes will be performed on the preferred string, e.g., for the violins: G, D, A, E), "avoid open strings", and "use open strings"
- Free positioning of individual players or desks on a virtual stage when using Vienna MIR PRO or Vienna MIR PRO 24 optional ambience software