The black Director D/A Converter & Preamplifier by SPL is designed to be the hub of a stereo system to which all components are connected. It combines a digital-to-analog converter with a preamplifier, allowing you to connect digital and analog sound sources, as well as amplifiers and powered speakers. Optimized for high-fidelity music playback, the Director is part of the Professional Fidelity series that takes its roots from SPL's professional mastering-studio technology.
Built around 120V rail technology (VOLTAiR), the preamplifier delivers an impressive 137.6 dB of dynamic range, an extended frequency range of 4 Hz to 300 kHz, and a total harmonic distortion of 0.0008%. In addition, the D/A converter plays back PCM and DSD audio formats. PCM sampling is supported up to 384 kHz and DSD sampling is supported up to DSD2.
Connect up to six stereo sources: two in the analog domain with RCA connectors, and four in the digital domain with USB, AES, coaxial and optical connectors. This unit is Apple class-compliant. When connected to a PC running Windows, a driver must be installed to playback audio files with a resolution higher than 44.1 kHz. To avoid shrinking bit resolution at lower listening levels, volume is controlled in the analog domain using a motorized ALPS RK27 Big Blue potentiometer with channel matching. Volume as well as input selection can be remotely controlled using any existing infra-red (IR) remote control.
Other features include a dot-matrix display that shows source selection & sample rate of the selected digital input, and a set of six DIP switches to customize signal routing, muting, gain structure and output calibration.
- D/A converter and preamplifier with 120V rail technology (VOLTAiR )
- Four digital inputs: USB, AES/EBU, coaxial, optical
- PCM up to 384 kHz and DSD up to DSD2
- Two analog inputs and two analog outputs
- Avago dot-matrix display shows selected input and sample rate frequency for digital inputs
- Analog volume control with motorized ALPS Big Blue potentiometer
- Remote-controllable volume and source selection (Director learns commands from any IR remote-control)
- Six DIP switches to customize signal routing, muting, gain structure and output calibration
- AMP CTL connection to SPL's Performer power amplifier for coupled on/off switching
- Windows driver, Apple class-compliant
- Stand-by/power-on switch
- Linear power supply with toroidal transformer
- Front and lid made from aluminum, housing made from sheet metal
- Made in Germany