Available for download, Convolution Space by Best Service comprises a library of atmospheric tones, all of them designed to be manipulated through the lens of selectable impulse responses which are, in turn, fed into the original sound-source by means of the mod-wheel on your MIDI-controller. This virtual instrument is powered by the Native Instruments Kontakt engine, which provides its own host of effects including EQ, delays, and phasers.
Produced by sound designer Magnus Lindberg, this virtual instrument is more than suitable for creating the atmospheric backdrops often found in commercials, films, video games, pieces of conceptual theater, ambient genres of music, and more. Its 8.5GB library is available for use in stereo and 5.1 surround applications. Convolution Spaces is compatible with both Mac and Windows platforms, and can operate in standalone, AU, VST, and AAX formats. Please note: this software is not necessarily intended to create melodic or harmonic structures; it is more of a sound-design tool that can evoke a variety of emotional states, using convolution techniques to blend sound-sources with impulse responses for atmospheric results.
Evocative Atmospheres Organized into Folders
- Abstract: Particularly esoteric sounds
- Emotional: Designed to evoke timbres of beauty, sadness, or joy
- Fantasy: Designed to evoke tones associated with fantasy genres
- Mental: Intended to reflect states of the mind, ranging from the spiritual to the psychedelic
- Scary: Particularly useful for the soundscapes of horror genres
- SciFi: Designed to evoke the future and all of its possible technologies
- Underground: Dark tones for subterranean atmospheres
- Deep&Rumble: Designed to provide relentless timbres, particularly suitable for evoking the cataclysmic in sound-design
- Structures: Offers a sense of eeriness
- Technology: The imaginary sounds of communicating CPUs and other future machines