Available for download, Cinematic Percussion from FXpansion is an expansion pack intended for use with Geist and Geist2—though it can be used with any sample engine supporting 24-bit/44.1 kHz WAV, AIFF, and RX2 files. Sporting over 4,900 WAV samples and 1,300 RX2 loops, this library offers a wide range of Latin, atmospheric, and junk percussion sounds suitable for many kinds of groove-based music, as well as sound-design and soundtrack work for theater, TV, and film. This pack was created by composer Jacques Mathias, whose music has appeared in films such as Automata.
If you are using these samples within Geist or Geist2, you'll be able to access 12 kit presets and 315 engine presets, as well as 755 pad presets. As this is a sample library, Cinematic Percussion is compatible with Mac and PC platforms.
Uses with Geist/Geist2 Explained
- Many instruments and sliced loops are presented with variations labeled alphabetically. These are designed to be stacked with panning for an overdubbed "double-tracked" sound, or simply to vary sequences for more naturalistic parts. Instruments are supplied as single- and multi-presets; simply use Geist's Pad Lock features to compile custom banks of sounds by loading different single instruments.
- Multiple single-percussion instruments that are supplied as loops feature both "Soft" and "Accented" hits on different pads.
- Most instruments are provided with "Close" and "Amb" (ambient) mic'd versions. The Close sets are designed to be tweaked according to individual taste in the mix, while the Amb versions provide a natural reverb recorded in a wood-paneled room.
Microphones and Equipment Utilized for Cinematic Percussion
- Apogee AD16X and Avid 192 A/D conversion.
- AKG 414, Neumann U87, and KM184 microphones.
- Avalon 737 and UA 6176 preamps.