The updated SansAmp Bass Driver V2 DI from Tech 21 delivers big vintage tube tones, bright modern slap sounds, and gnarly distortions through your bass amp, power amp, or directly through a mixing board. Added features include a bass switch for extending the lower register to accommodate 5- and 6-string basses, as well as a midrange control, and a switch to adjust its frequency.
When using the pedal's 1/4" output, the Bass Driver DI can be used to provide overdrive and EQ adjustment as a stompbox, driving the front input of your amp. Use the integrated footswitch to add or bypass the pedal from your signal chain. The Bass Driver DI can also be used as a preamp by running the 1/4" output directly into the power amp input (or effects return) of your amp. For going direct to a mixing board or studio console, the XLR terminal on the SansAmp Bass Driver V2 outputs a balanced signal and can receive 48V phantom power from the mixing board or studio console to fully power the pedal and all of its functions.
Having multiple outputs allows for multitasking, so you can mix and match your signal chain options with the Bass Driver DI. For example, on a live stage, you can send a balanced DI signal to the mixing board or console while using the low-Z or parallel 1/4" outputs to route the signal back to your amp for real-time monitoring. Low-Z outputs can drive long cable lengths without signal deterioration, ensuring your bass signal arrives without attenuated high frequencies or excess noise.
- Presence: Brings out the upper harmonic content and attack. For a smoother high end and for clean settings, decrease to taste
- Drive: Adjusts the overall amount of gain and overdrive, similar to when the output section of a tube amp is being pushed
- Mid, Bass, and Treble: Unlike passive controls that only cut, these active tone controls cut or boost ±12 dB from unity gain (12 o’clock)
- Mid Shift Switch: Changes the frequency from 500 Hz (up position) to 1000 Hz
- Bass Shift Switch: Changes the frequency from 40 Hz (up position) to 80 Hz to accommodate 5- and 6-string basses that extend into the lower registers.
- Blend: Controls the ratio of SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry and your direct instrument signal.
- Level: Adjusts the output level of both the 1/4” and XLR outputs.
Inputs and Outputs
- Input 1/4”, 1 MOhm, instrument level. Switches battery power on/off
- Parallel Output: 1/4” unbalanced direct output is “hard-wired” parallel with input jack. Instrument signal passes through, un-effected, to the input of your stage amplification system
- Balanced XLR Output: Balanced low-Z output. Sends effected or un-effected signal to mixing console/recorder, depending on the orientation of the Footswitch
- XLR Output Level Switch: -20 dB pad to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. Disengaged (up position), the output is 0 dB. Engaged (in position), the output is -20 dB
- 1/4” Output: Unbalanced low-Z output. Sends effected or un-effected signal to amp rig or power amp, as per the orientation of the Footswitch
- 1/4” Output Level Switch: +10 dB boost to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. Disengaged (up position), the output is -10 dB. Engaged (in position), the output is 0 dB
- Footswitch (with LED Indicator): Engages/disengages SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry
- Active (LED On): Tonality and gain structure are affected as determined by the setting of the controls. Delivers effected signal through the XLR Output and 1/4” Output.
- Inactive (LED Off): SansAmp Bass Driver DI functions as an active transparent direct box and does not sonically alter the instrument signal