Complementing the video capabilities of the a6000, a built-in stereo microphone is incorporated into the design and records audio in the Linear PCM 2-channel format for XAVC S movies, the AC-3 Dolby Digital format for AVCHD movies, and the MPEG-4 AAC-LC format for web-quality MP4 videos.
For further refinement, a series of distinct AF modes can be selected from depending on the subject:
- Eye AF is a detail-oriented focusing function that can prioritize a subject's pupil and dedicate focusing performance on that for sharply-rendered portraits
- Lock-on AF is a dedicated focusing method for use with moving subjects and adjusts the target frame size as the subject moves throughout the image frame
- AF area settings allow you to prioritize specific regions within the frame for increased accuracy
- AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), and Manual Focus modes can also be chosen
- Tru-Finder 0.39" 1.44m-dot OLED EVF features a refined optical system that integrates four double-sided aspherical elements to provide 100% frame coverage and a wide 33° viewing angle for clear edge-to-edge viewing.
- Rear 3.0" 921k-dot Xtra Fine monitor features a tilting design that move upward 90° or downward 45° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Customizable user interface includes an Fn function button and seven other buttons that can be adjusted depending upon user preferences and assigned to one of 47 different functions.
- Built-in pop-up flash, featuring a guide number of 19.7' at ISO 100, is available for working in difficult lighting conditions and a Multi Interface Shoe is also available for attaching additional on-camera accessories, such as flashes, video lights, and microphones.
- Single memory card slot is compatible with UHS-I SD memory cards as well as Memory Stick PRO Duo-type cards.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the a6000 to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Designed for APS-C-format cameras, this 55-210mm lens perfectly complements many kit zooms by providing an 82.5-315mm equivalent focal length range for telephoto applications.
- A variable f/4.5-6.3 maximum aperture helps keep overall lens size and weight to a minimum.
- Two extra-low dispersion glass elements are featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Two aspherical elements are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- An internal focus mechanism contributes to faster, more responsive autofocus, the minimum focus distance of 3.3', and easier handling as the lens does not change in length during use.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.