Bundling the sleek mirrorless body with a pair of versatile zooms, the Sony a6000 Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm and 55-210mm Lenses joins the compact APS-C camera with the E PZ 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS standard zoom and the E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS telephoto zoom.
The black Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a versatile and advanced mirrorless camera featuring a 24.3MP APS-C-sized Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor to produce high-resolution still images and Full HD movies with marked low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 25600. Beyond notable imaging traits, the image processor also lends itself to continuous shooting up to 11 fps and an intelligent Fast Hybrid AF system that uses both phase- and contrast-detection methods to quickly and accurately acquire focus.
For live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation, both a large rear monitor and detailed electronic viewfinder are available. The 3.0" 921k-dot XtraFine LCD screen features a tilting design to facilitate easier use from both high and low angles and also incorporates WhiteMagic technology for easier viewing in bright conditions. The 0.39" 1,440k-dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF offers 100% frame coverage and a refined optical design to provide a natural viewing perspective and magnification. The body design of the a6000 also houses a configurable user interface, built around several customizable buttons and two control dials, for efficient and intuitive access to frequently used camera settings. Additionally, a Multi Interface shoe is available for attaching external flashes, continuous lights, or microphones.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, with support for NFC-enabled devices, is also integrated into the a6000 to support remote camera control and image sharing to linked mobile devices. In addition to these base features, with firmware version 2.0 users will have access to the XAVC S format for Full HD 1080p video at 24, 30, and 60 fps. This format will dramatically improve video quality by allowing the camera to capture images at a high bit rate of 50 Mbps, which holds more information than AVCHD for fewer artifacts. Along with this, users will be required to use Class 10 or faster SDXC memory cards with a capacity of 64GB or greater.
For further refinement, a series of distinct AF modes can be selected from depending on the subject. Eye AF is a detail-oriented focusing function that can prioritize a subject's pupil and dedicate focusing performance on that for sharply-rendered portraits; Lock-on AF is a dedicated focusing method for use with moving subjects and adjusts the target frame size as the subject moves throughout the image frame; AF area settings allow you to prioritize specific regions within the frame for increased accuracy; and AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), and Manual Focus modes can also be chosen.
Complementing the video capabilities of the a6000, a built-in stereo microphone is incorporated into the design and records audio in the Linear PCM 2-channel format for XAVC S movies, the AC-3 Dolby Digital format for AVCHD movies, and the MPEG-4 AAC-LC format for web-quality MP4 videos.
Manual focus peaking and a zebra function are also available, to benefit working in manual focus and to assure highlight detail is retained, respectively. A marker setting can be shown on the rear LCD as well, in order to display a center marker, guide frame, aspect marker, safety zone, and other pertinent features for video recording.
Complementing the overall handling of the a6000 is a customizable user interface that includes an Fn function button and seven other buttons that can be adjusted depending upon user preferences and assigned to one of 47 different functions. Furthermore, two top dials offer an intuitive means for selecting crucial camera settings in a deft manner. A built-in pop-up flash, featuring a guide number of 19.7' at ISO 100, is available for working in difficult lighting conditions and a Multi Interface Shoe is also available for attaching additional on-camera accessories, such as flashes, video lights, and microphones.
Additionally, PlayMemories Camera Apps are also supported via the built-in Wi-Fi connection, and allow you to personalize the camera's features depending on specific shooting styles. Apps are available to suit creating portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot, and other specific types of imagery.
- Designed for APS-C-format cameras, this 55-210mm lens perfectly complements many kit zooms by providing an 82.5-315mm equivalent focal length range for telephoto applications.
- A variable f/4.5-6.3 maximum aperture helps keep overall lens size and weight to a minimum.
- Two extra-low dispersion glass elements are featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Two aspherical elements are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- An internal focus mechanism contributes to faster, more responsive autofocus, the minimum focus distance of 3.3', and easier handling as the lens does not change in length during use.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.