Offering a more conventional form factor and packing in UHD 4K video recording, FUJIFILM's X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera certainly aims to fill the needs of many working professionals. Equipped with a 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III image sensor and the X-Processor Pro Engine, users will be able to capture finely detailed imagery quickly and with low noise at sensitivities up to ISO 51200. The powerful combination permits rapid image capture at up to 8 fps with full AF tracking or at up to 14 fps using the silent electronic shutter. In terms of AF, the X-T2 uses an Intelligent Hybrid system with 325 points that ensure accurate, fast tracking of subjects in all modes.
For video, the X-T2 offers internal UHD 4K video as well as an 8-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output. The internal recording offers 100 Mbps bitrate for capturing fine details with ease. Along with this an F-Log Gamma setting will be available for capturing a flat picture best used in serious grading applications. Fuji's array of Film Simulations and Grain Effects can also be used here, for both photo and video shoots.
Improved handling is a key upgrade in the X-T2, incorporating a larger grip, locking dials, raised buttons, and more to make operation smoother. The weather-sealed body also sports a 0.5" 0.77x 2.36m-dot OLED EVF with a larger eyecup for comfortable composition and a base refresh rate of 60 fps, which can be boosted to 100 fps. There is also a 3.0" 1.04m-dot three-way tilting LCD screen for alternative viewing options. This screen has a unique tilt that permits shooting at odd angles, including in the portrait orientation. Additionally, it has a focus lever joystick that allows for rapidly adjusting and changing the selected AF point or area.
When paired with the X-Processor Pro, the sensor is also capable of producing clean image quality with reduced noise values, along with a native sensitivity range up to ISO 12800 that can be expanded to ISO 51200.
Full HD recording also benefits from the X-T2's video prowess, taking a 3000 x 1687 input to create finely detailed 1920 x 1080 footage at 100 Mbps. A variety of frame rates are available, including 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p, and True 24.00 for Full HD recording and 30p, 25p, 24p, and True 24.00 for UHD 4K.
Along with the vastly enhanced recording capabilities, the X-T2 offers an F-Log Gamma setting that provides a flat picture for use in advanced color grading software during editing. This should maximize the potential dynamic range in difficult scenes. Image adjustments can be made as well to highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness. Additionally, HDMI output is supported with an 8-bit 4:2:2 signal and users will be able to use Film Simulation effects to capture unique video.
The rear 3.0" LCD screen received its own upgrades, especially with the introduction of a three-way tilt mechanism. This allows photographers and videographers to work in a variety of odd angles, including portrait orientation shooting. The screen features a high 1.04m-dot resolution for crystal clear viewing.
Continuous AF modes have been seriously upgraded, as the X-T2 now offers customization of a variety of settings in order to dial in the performance for your specific subject matter. This includes changing the sensitivity, speed, and more to ensure that just what you want to capture is in focus.
- Supporting its use in harsh climates, the durable weather-resistant body design is constructed from magnesium alloy and sealed to protect against dust, moisture, and cold temperatures down to 14°F.
- Dual SD card slots allow for a more flexible and reliable means of storing imagery, and both card slots are compatible with UHS-II standards for fast transfer speeds.
- The top plate incorporates a series of locking dials and levers for fast, intuitive adjustment over exposure settings, including a shutter speed dial that offers a mechanical shutter speed range from 1 to 1/8000 sec, as well as bulb and time settings. An ISO dial is also incorporated into the shutter speed dial, for confirming the sensitivity setting without having to turn the camera on. The exposure compensation dial lets you choose +/- 3 EV in 1/3 steps, and a command dial position expands the range to +/- 5 EV for further control.
- Front and rear command dials integrate a push function for easier use and settings selection and six different function buttons can be assigned to control a range of settings.
- A dedicated Focus Lever provides faster, more intuitive control over selecting specific focus points while shooting.
- A larger grip and larger eyecup are available for a more comfortable feeling
- Four-way buttons on the back of the camera have been raised for a more tactile feel.
In addition to simulating specific film types, a Grain Effect mode is also available to replicate the look of old film photos with an organic textured appearance, which is especially noticeable when printing.
- An electronic shutter function permits using shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 sec for working with wide aperture settings in bright lighting conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables wireless transferring of imagery to linked mobile devices as well as remote control over camera settings and the shutter via the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app. Additionally, this connectivity enables the use of the optional INSTAX SHARE Smartphone Printer for wireless instant printing via the INSTAX Share app.
- An interval timer permits recording time-lapse sequences and can be configured to record up to 999 frames in time spans ranging from one second to 24 hours.
- Multiple exposure mode gives you the ability to overlay imagery in-camera. When working in this mode, subsequent exposures can be paired and the final appearance can be previewed on the LCD or in the EVF before making the final exposure.
- Additional Advanced Filters can also be used to creatively enhance the look of imagery in-camera, and include Toy Camera, Miniature, Pop Color, High Key, Low Key, Dynamic Tone, Soft Focus, and Partial Color (Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purple).