Losmandy's GM-8 Motorized EQ Mount with Tripod is an upgrade from the basic version of this mount with the addition of a dual-axis stepper motor assembly and a wired hand controller. The micro-stepper motor's full-circle brass wheel gear allows the mount to track over extremely long periods, with little error, for long-exposure astrophotography or prolonged observation of a single celestial object.
While this mount configuration does not have full GoTo capabilities, once you polar align the mount and manually navigate to your subject, the controller will track it across the right ascension all night. Your optical tube assembly (OTA) mounts via a Vixen/Losmandy dual dovetail saddle and an adjustable-height aluminum tripod supports all the gear.
Use the included hand controller to move the scope for navigating and to track celestial objects. Since near- and deep-sky objects appear to move at different speeds, the controller features Celestial, Solar, Lunar, and King's rate tracking speeds, in addition to multiple slew speeds. An integrated auto guider port adds to the mount's usability.
- Motorized German equatorial
- Payload capacity: 30 lb for instrument, 60 lb total including counterweight(s)
- Includes 7 lb counterweight with removable 1.25" shaft
- Locking tangent arm altitude adjustment: 6-68° range
- Laser-engraved latitude scale in 2° increments
- Losmandy- and Vixen-style dual dovetail saddle
- Weight: 21 lb including motor assembly
Gears and Motors
- 160 oz/in stepper motor, 1.0 arcsec/step
- One 2.1" diameter needle thrust bearing
- One 2" diameter needle thrust bearing
- Two 1.5" diameter needle bearings
- 2.812" diameter, 7075 aluminum worm gear, 180 tooth
- Dual supported, ball bearing housed brass worm
- Variable slip clutch, both axes
- 1.25" diameter aluminum shafts
- Right ascension and declination reversing switches
- Three guiding rates: 30%, 50%, 2x sidereal rate
- Three setting rates: 4x, 8x, 16x sidereal rate
- Tracking rates: Sidereal, Solar, Lunar, King
- Periodic Error Correction (PEC) programs out drive errors for more accurate long-term tracking
- Programmable declination backlash compensation programs out play in motor and axis gears to prevent backlash when motors stop, for more precise viewing
- Control panel dimmer allows you to minimize light signature to protect night-adjusted vision
- Northern and Southern Hemisphere operation
- Auto-guider port
- Runs on 12 VDC, 500mA power from included power adapter
- Aluminum alloy
- Scratch-resistant black anodized finish
- Adjustable height of 27-43"