This book teaches students and entry-level novices how to create games using the GameMaker engine. Readers will quickly hone their design skills with tutorials that are written so that beginners can quickly start building games while also providing lessons on how designers can ‘level up' and add advanced options to their games. Readers will also have access to a website containing all the assets and resources to create their games, including sprites and animations, walk-through video tutorials of each lesson and music composed by professional musicians. Also provided are rubrics for instructors to use when grading student work or for readers learning on their own to evaluate their own work.
- Beginners may wish to work straight through the book completing all three levels of each chapter or focus solely on the beginning levels first and then working through the book a second time to master the more advanced skills
- Each chapter includes tutorial walkthroughs of game creation as well as video tutorials for each chapter
- Readers will be shown how to make recognizable mini-games in each chapter, building on their skills as they progress
- Includes coverage of user interface options and GML code
- This book uniquely shows ways in which students can make money from their games and answer the question, "Do people ever use GameMaker to create ‘real games'?"