Explore Scientific's compact FirstLight 127mm f/15 Alt-Az Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope is ideal for users who want a portable yet powerful observation platform that is able to achieve high magnifications for detailed views of the Moon and planets and has the ability to reach out past our solar system to observe brighter deep-sky objects such as nebulae and galaxies.
The Maksutov-Cassegrain optical configuration is engineered with a convex meniscus lens that not only eliminates the need for periodic collimation, but by the nature of the lens requires a smaller secondary mirror that limits obstruction and increases contrast. The Maksutov optical path results in a slower focal ratio and narrower field of view versus a similar Schmidt design, but the optical benefits make this a useful scope for planetary and double-star observation.
The scope features the manual Twilight Nano alt-azimuth mount with dual-axis control knobs that allow users to track objects as they move across the night sky. Its stainless steel tripod provides a stable observation platform, and several observational accessories are provided, including a 25mm eyepiece, a 90° star diagonal, a universal smartphone eyepiece adapter, and an unmagnified red-dot finderscope.
- 127mm aperture
- f/15 focal ratio
- 1900mm focal length
- Compact Maksutov-Cassegrain optical configuration
- Front convex meniscus lens corrects spherical and chromatic aberrations and comas (off-axis aberrations) across the entire field of view
- Smaller secondary mirror versus Schmidt-Cassegrains reduces obstructions and increases contrast and sharpness
- Internal focusing mechanism with 1.25" visual back
- Manual alt-azimuth single-arm fork mount
- Dual-axis slow-motion tracking knobs
- Cables terminate in easy-to-manipulate knurled knobs
- Quick release Vixen-style dovetail saddle
- 1.25" stainless steel legs
- Three leg sections with thumbscrew locks
- Accessory tray doubles as leg stabilizer for additional rigidity and vibration reduction
- 1.25" 25mm Plössl eyepiece yields 76x magnification
- 1.25" 90° star diagonal places head in comfortable position, especially when OTA is aimed at or near the zenith
- Smartphone adapter attaches over eyepiece and allows any smartphone to be used for astrophotography
- Red-dot finder: Unmagnified for fast subject acquisition with variable red illumination to protect night-adjusted vision