This Wine Country Camera Drop-in Circular Polarizer Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. Mounted within a geared aluminum-alloy filter ring, it is made specifically to fit between a separately-available Wine Country Camera 100mm Filter Holder and Wine Country Camera filter holder adapter ring. The filter holder's external knob integrates with the geared filter ring, allowing for the independent rotation of the circular polarizer.
The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizer filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizer filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
For increased optical clarity and color fidelity, the Wine Country Camera Drop-in Circular Polarizer Filter is constructed from Schott glass. To prevent internal ghosting and reflections, each glass surface includes 16 layers of anti-reflection coating. These coatings offer further protection to the filter substrate and help it to stay clean for longer than with uncoated filters.
- Drop-in circular polarizer filter for separately-available Wine Country Camera 100mm Filter Holder.
- Geared aluminum-alloy filter ring integrates with separately-available Wine Country Camera 100mm Filter Holder's external knob for independent polarizer rotation.
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.
- Polarizer filters arrange and filter directionally polarized light perpendicular to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun.
- Circular polarizers are ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polarizer will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features.
- Multi-coated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections.
- 2x filter factor reduces exposure by approximately 1 stop.
- Constructed from Schott glass for optical clarity.