Vienna Symphonic Library Historic Winds III is a virtual instrument with a library that authentically captures the noble tone and articulations of a natural horn, the predecessor to the modern French horn. It provides composers and orchestrators with a palette of historical sounds from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, which can be combined to add rich new colors to their arrangements, film scores, music productions, and more.
Historic Winds III is powered by the included Vienna Instruments player or Vienna Ensemble. The library comprises 28,482 samples performed by expert horn soloist Marcus Schmidinger using ten different tuning slides (Bb basso, Bb alto, C basso, C alto, D, Eb, E, F, G, A), so that the instrument can be played in any key.
To help bring a realistic dimension to your performance, Historic Winds III offers a powerful assortment of staccato, legato, trills, arpeggios, and flutter tonguing effects, performed in various tempos and dynamics.
- Natural horn authentically captured with ten different tuning slides—Bb basso, Bb alto, C basso, C alto, D, Eb, E, F, G, A
- 12.7GB library with 28,482 samples performed by expert horn soloist Marcus Schmidinger
- Includes Vienna Instruments player and Vienna Ensemble
- The natural horn is the predecessor to the modern French horn and has neither finger holes nor valves
- Produces only natural tones according to the harmonic series by adjusting the embouchure and changing lip-tension
- Technique of stopping—the left hand is inserted in various depths and angles into the bell—allows for the fine tuning of the off-pitch tones and for producing chromatic notes that are not part of the harmonic series
- Various slides are used in order to play harmonic scales in different keys
- Staccato, portato
- Fortepiano, sforzato, sforzatissimo
- Crescendo and diminuendo, 2/3/4 seconds
- Repetition performances legato, portato, staccato, normal, and crescendo
- Fast repetitions—140 to 180 BPM, and 200 BPM
- Flutter tonguing—normal and crescendo
- Fast interval performances in legato and marcato styles
- Performance trills, arpeggios (major, minor, and diminished in legato and staccato)
- Ornamental mordents