Qualifying itself as the flagship model in Nikon's DSLR lineup, the D5 is positioned as a truly fast, highly precise machine for professional photographers. Revolving around a full-frame, FX-format 20.8MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this workhorse touts an impressive 12 fps continuous shooting rate with full-time AF and AE, an expandable sensitivity range that goes up to ISO 3280000, and UHD 4K video recording at 30 fps. Matching the imaging versatility, the Nikon D5 is also characterized by its redeveloped Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system, which incorporates 99 cross-type sensors, for refined precision when tracking moving subjects or working in difficult lighting conditions. This model features dual CF memory card slots, providing versatility in file handling during shooting. A range of selectable raw file sizes can also be used depending on output needs. Designed to keep up with the fastest subjects and handle the most difficult working conditions, the Nikon D5 is an advanced DSLR well-suited to the most extreme multimedia workflows.
Echoing the robust set of imaging capabilities, the D5 is equally refined in its handling and physical design attributes. A rear 3.2" 2.36M-dot touchscreen LCD monitor affords clean, clear playback and live view shooting, along with an intuitive means for navigating the menu system. The camera chassis is constructed from magnesium alloy and is both dust and weather-sealed to enable working in the harshest of environments. Additionally, lending an air of familiarity to the design, a slew of configurable function (Fn) buttons are available across the body, and an integrated vertical grip supports working in both horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
This is a refurbished item and comes with a 90-day warranty.
20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5 Image Processor
In addition to benefiting image quality, the EXPEED 5 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate or 14 fps with the mirror up, or 12 fps with full-time autofocus and auto-exposure control. When shooting at 12 fps, up to 200 frames can be recorded in a single burst, even when shooting 14-bit lossless compressed NEF files. Benefiting this speed, redeveloped sequencer and mirror driving mechanisms also ensure consistent, accurate exposure results, as well as a more stable viewfinder image.
153-Point Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus System
Complementing the abundance of focusing points is a dedicated AF engine offering quick response times benefiting the tracking of fast and randomly moving subjects, even at the top 12 fps shooting rate. The AF engine also contributes to enhanced focusing sensitivity, with all points capable of focusing -3 EV, and the center point capable of reading at -4 EV for working in very dark, low-contrast situations.
Furthering the versatility of the focusing system, seven different AF-area modes can be selected to support varying types of subject matter:
- Single-Point AF: The camera uses a single point to find focus.
- Dynamic-Area AF: Available with 25, 72, or 153-point selections, this mode uses a primary single focus point to lock onto focus, and then makes use of the surrounding points for maintaining focus while tracking erratically-moving subjects.
- Group-Area AF: This mode treats smaller groups of AF points as a single point for a wider field of recognition, and is well-suited to tracking faces or other detailed subjects.
- 3D-Tracking: Using a subject's color information, this mode utilizes all 153 points to maintain focus on a moving subject while half-pressing the shutter button.
- Auto-Area AF: This mode makes use of all 153 points to quickly identify the main subject, and then prioritizes recognized faces as portrait subjects in any AF servo mode.
Lastly, a unique auto AF fine-tune function can be employed to ensure the best possible focus for each mounted lens. Rather than relying on photographing distance charts, this function lets you achieve precise focus manually in live view, and then have the AF system calibrate itself to the fine-tuned focus position to alleviate front and back-focusing issues.
UHD 4K Video Recording
- FX-based movie image format makes use of the entire width of the sensor and is used to record Full HD (1920 x 1080) and HD (1280 x 720) video. This setting is well-suited for shallow depth of field effects, and provides the widest field of view.
- UHD 4K movie image format is an area roughly corresponding to a DX crop of the full-frame sensor, and provides a 1.5x increase in the effective focal length of the lens in use. This area is reserved for 4K 3840 x 2160 recording.
- DX-based movie image format is a similar 1.5x crop of the full-frame sensor; however, it is used for recording Full HD and HD video.
- 1920 x 1080 crop movie image format is the smallest recording area, offering roughly a 3x increase in the effective focal length of the lens, for gaining narrower fields of view.
Regarding handling, a dedicated power aperture button (Pv) makes it possible to achieve smooth, continuous exposure transitions when switching from light to dark areas, and Auto ISO can also be used to maintain consistent brightness when working in changing light situations. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone, or by adding an optional external mic via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality. Regardless of which mic is used, audio levels can be adjusted in 20 increments, and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack, which affords 30 different volume levels for playback.
In addition to straight movie recording, time-lapse recording for up to 9999 consecutive frames shot over the course of up to one week is also possible, with up to UHD 4K/30p output from the camera.
- A large 3.2" rear LCD monitor features a high 2.36M-dot resolution for clear, vivid playback and live view shooting. The monitor is also a touchscreen for more intuitive menu navigation and settings control, and can respond to haptic feedback even while wearing gloves. The touchscreen is also usable while shooting, giving you the ability to choose a focus point or an area to set the white balance from. The screen can also be used as a keyboard for quickly entering notes, copyright info, or IPTC information.
- This model of the D5 is configured with two CF card slots, allowing you to extend file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording, in-camera file duplicating, or the ability to segregate raw and JPEG files between the two cards.
- The familiar body design incorporates a vertical grip that is designed to be equally as comfortable and efficient when shooting, in both vertical or horizontal orientation.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor are shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and are further accentuated by anti-slip, textured joysticks and easy-to-open card slot covers. Additionally, most of the buttons on the rear of the camera are illuminated for greater visibility when working in dim lighting conditions.
- The bright 0.72x optical pentaprism viewfinder covers 100% of the FX frame for framing accuracy. A detachable DK-27 Eyepiece Adapter lets you attach a rain cover directly to the viewfinder, for more comfortable shooting in wet conditions.
- Function (Fn) buttons 1-3 are placed about the camera body and can be used for adjusting or accessing a range of functions; functions can be assigned to the buttons at will, and customized depending on shooting needs.
- An electronic front-curtain shutter helps minimize mechanical vibrations to better ensure sharpness during long exposures.
- The high-precision shutter mechanism has been tested for a long lifespan of 400,000 actuations.
- The included EN-EL18a rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 3780 shots per charge in single-frame release modes.
Scene Recognition System and Exposure Metering
Other Camera Features
- Three different sizes of raw files can be used depending on your output needs; raw size medium and small are 12-bit lossless compressed NEF files, while the large file size is a 14-bit lossless uncompressed or compressed NEF file.
- Spot White Balance control for live view shooting makes setting the white balance as easy as pointing to the area in the frame that should be white. Additionally, 1-6 preset white balance settings can be stored for easier switching between different light sources.
- When reviewing continuous shooting sequences, you can configure to have the playback begin with the first or last image from the burst.
- The D5 is compatible with the radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system, which permits working with the optional WR-R10 Controller and WR-A10 Receiver, along with the SB-5000, for intuitive, controllable wireless flash shooting.
- The built-in wired LAN function of 1000 Base-T (Gigabit) standard enables high-speed, seamless transferring of still imagery and movie files for expediting an entire post-production workflow.
- For wireless file transferring, the D5 is compatible with the optional WT-6A Wireless Transmitter.
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera and include Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid, Flat, and user-customizable settings.
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.