Building upon the success of the E12 series, the black Fiio A5 is a headphone amplifier designed to be used on the go and provide a hi-fi sonic backdrop to any traveling situation. The A5 utilizes the same combination of opamps (Muse02 + LME49600) as the E12A, but delivers improved performance with high-precision components that provide better harmonic distortion, a higher signal-to-noise ratio, and an improved channel balance.
The headphone amplifier also sports an 880mAh battery, which can last up to 13 hours on a 2.5-hour charge when supplied power via an optional 5V/2A charger. When charging, the A5 will automatically adjust the amount of current it accepts depending on whether you're using a computer's USB port, a tablet charger, or a cell phone charger. An LED indicates the A5's charging status.
Furthermore, the 3.5mm headphone jack utilizes a CNC stainless steel ring, rather than copper, which was used in previous models. This, combined with a plastic ring, ensures the termination port is integrated with no gaps whatsoever, giving you a sturdier connection for your headphones. The amp accepts signal through a 3.5mm jack located near the headphone jack, and features a switch that allows you to adjust between high- and low-gain settings. The A5 ships with a USB power cable, two silicone pads, four silicone bands, an 3.5mm audio cable, and a cloth pouch.
Key Features at a Glance
- Provides 800mW at 32 Ohms
- Offers a MUSES02 and LME49600 Opamp combination
- Sports a signal to noise ratio of 115 dB
- Features a total harmonic distortion of 0.002%
- Utilizes low-resistance power management
- Provides an 880mAh 11V battery
- Battery lasts for up to 13 hours on a 2.5-hour charge
- LED displays charging status
- CNC-Milled headphone jack provides sturdier connection
- Volume knob inspired by string instruments and designed with fifty-six 45° etched lines
- Sandblasted zirconium finish provides a robust enclosure