Taking the stage as a modular and compact camera option in the Pentax lineup is the black KP DSLR with a unique smart function exchangeable grip that can be swapped as needed by the photographer. Beyond this, the KP was designed for outstanding low-light performance due to a newly developed 24.3MP APS-C CMOS sensor that eliminates its anti-aliasing filter and the PRIME IV Engine with an accelerator unit for processing. This enables it to reach sensitivities up to ISO 819200 with minimal noise as well as capture maximum sharpness at all times. A 5-axis in-body Shake Reduction II module further assists image quality by compensating for up to 5 stops of shutter speed during longer exposures as well as activating the Pixel Shift Resolution mode.
Still imaging benefits from the use of a SAFOX 11 27-point AF sensor, which will help photographers lock onto their subjects quickly and accurately. This is sure to come in handy when shooting at the max speed of 7 fps. Also, the camera is equipped with a mechanical shutter of 1/6000 second and an electronic shutter that is able to reach 1/24000 second. Along with stills, the KP is capable of recording Full HD 1080p video at up to 30 fps and it has interval shooting capable of creating a 4K movie. The weather-sealed magnesium alloy body also sports built-in Wi-Fi along with a tilting 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor and a 0.95x optical viewfinder with 100% coverage.
This sensor combines with the power of the PRIME IV 14-bit image processing engine with accelerator unit to create large images with ease and speed. Improving upon the past generation, the PRIME IV can deliver photographs at up to 7 fps in raw format for up to 8 frames. This processor also helps control numerous advanced features, including Pixel Shift Resolution and more.
Pentax takes advantage of the sensor's available movement in order to develop additional features, such as the Pixel Shift Resolution setting. This mode shifts the sensor in order to capture full color data on each pixel by compositing four shots. This grants exceptional clarity, lowers noise, and boosts the effective resolution. Additionally, the KP has a motion correction setting that allows this function to be used even when shooting handheld.
Another capability is an Image Composition Assist function, which allows you to shift the sensor up/down and left/right as well as slightly rotate it. This lets users easily adjust their composition without needing to move their camera and can be useful for delicately balanced tripod work.
- Mechanical shutter with a max speed of 1/6000 second along with an electronic shutter mode capable of reaching 1/24000 second.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows users to directly connect to the camera using a mobile device for image transfer and remote camera control.
- Aperture and shutter speed priority mode (TAv) allows you to manually select aperture and shutter speed while leaving ISO selection to the camera.
- Interval shooting is available in multiple modes for up to 2000 shots in intervals of 2 seconds to 24 hours.
- Built-in flash with guide number of 19.7' at ISO 100 with coverage for 28mm lens.
- Optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification and 100% coverage.