Designed as a true all-arounder, the Nikon D7500 is a DX-format DSLR offering a versatile feature-set to appeal to photographers and videographers alike. Based on a 20.9MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this multimedia maven avails an 8 fps continuous shooting rate for up to 100 consecutive JPEGS, a native sensitivity range to ISO 51,200 that can be expanded up to ISO 1,640,000, and 4K UHD video and time-lapse recording capabilities. Complementing the imaging capabilities is a 51-point Multi-CAM 3500FX II autofocus system, which features 15 cross-type points for fast performance and accurate subject tracking capabilities in a variety of lighting conditions.
Balancing the performance attributes, the D7500 is also characterized by its sleek profile and monocoque construction that is comfortable and easy to handle. This physical design is also fully weather-sealed to permit working in harsh environmental conditions. In addition to the pentaprism optical viewfinder, a rear 3.2" 922k-dot touchscreen is also featured, and has a tilting design to benefit working from high and low shooting angles. Additionally, SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi permit wireless transferring of photos and movies and remote control over the camera from linked mobile devices.
In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 5 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 8 fps with full-time autofocus and exposure metering. Up to 100 JPEGs or 50 14-bit lossless compressed NEF files can be recorded in a single burst.
- 4K UHD movie image format is an area that provides a 1.5x increase in the effective focal length of the lens in use and is reserved for 4K 3840 x 2160 recording.
- 1.3x-based movie image area provides a 1.3x crop of the DX sensor, and is used for recording Full HD and HD video.
- DX-based movie image format utilizes the full width of the DX-format sensor, and is used to record Full HD 1920 x 1080 and HD 1280 x 720 video. This setting is well-suited for shallow depth of field effects and provides the widest field of view.
As with still shooting, the wide range of sensitivities is available for recording in low- and bright-light conditions, ranging from expanded ISO 100-1640000, and sensitivity values are manually adjustable via the dedicated movie-shooting menu. Also, a video-optimized Flat Picture Control mode can be used during recording to flatten the overall contrast curve for more control during post-production and color grading.
Benefitting handheld shooting, an Electronic Vibration Reduction feature can be used during Full HD and HD recording, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake across three axes to control horizontal, vertical, and rotational movements. Additionally, Active D-Lighting can also be employed during Full HD/HD shooting to preserve highlight and shadow detail when working in high-contrast situations.
In regard to handling, a dedicated power aperture button (Pv) makes it possible to achieve smooth, continuous exposure transitions when switching from light to dark areas and Auto ISO can also be used to maintain consistent brightness when working in changing light situations. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality. Regardless if using the in-camera mic or an external mic, audio levels can be adjusted in 20 increments and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack.
In addition to straight movie recording, time-lapse recording, for up to 9999 consecutive frames shot over the course of up to one week, is also possible with up to 4K UHD/30p output from the camera.
When working in live view, for either still or movie shooting, a contrast-based AF system is employed to acquire focus precisely and can function in continuous, full-time servo mode to better-suit working with moving subjects.
- A large 3.2" 922k-dot touchscreen is available for intuitive live view shooting and playback control, and it features a tilting design to benefit working from high and low shooting angles.
- A bright pentaprism optical viewfinder offers 100% frame coverage and a 0.94x magnification for clear, realistic viewing in any lighting condition.
- The monocoque-type carbon-fiber construction is lightweight, durable, and incorporates a deep right hand grip for comfortable and stable handling, making it especially suitable for all-day shooting with longer zooms or telephoto lenses.
- Weather-sealed design benefits working in trying environmental conditions.
- Shutter unit has been tested for up to 150,000 cycles for long-lasting use and an integrated shutter monitor automatically calculates the duration between front and rear curtain movements with each exposure to automatically correct for any variances.
- Built-in pop-up flash is available for additional illumination when working in low-light conditions. A hot shoe can also be used in conjunction with an optional external Speedlight, and, if used with the optional WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller, the camera can control up to three groups of SB-5000 Speedlights via radio.
- The included EN-EL15a rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 950 shots per charge.
- RAW (NEF) files can be recorded as lossless compressed or compressed at either 12 or 14-bit depth.
- Automated exposure bracketing is possible for up to 9 frames with 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps between each frame.
- Active D-Lighting helps to preserve both highlight and shadow details when working in contrast-rich scenarios, such as backlit lighting. Utilizing the EXPEED 5's processing power, a more controlled image will be produced with brightness values closer to how they are naturally seen.
- Auto ISO sensitivity control allows you to select a minimum shutter speed at which camera shake can be controlled from and then will automatically set the ISO value in order to best render the scene. A maximum sensitivity level can also be set in order to maintain overall noise levels.
- Spot White Balance control for live view shooting makes setting the white balance as easy as pointing to the area in the frame that should be white.
- MC-DC2 port enables the connection of optional accessories, such as remote shutter releases.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you combine up to 10 different exposures into a single image, with the ability to save all 10 separate shots or just the composite image.
- In-camera raw file batch processing is possible to apply a consistent set of adjustments to several files at once.
- Picture Control: Auto, Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, and Vivid.
- Scene Modes: Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Pet Portrait, Candlelight, Blossom, Autumn Colors, and Food.
- Special Effects Modes: Night Vision; Super Vivid, Pop, Photo Illustration, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, Selective Color, Silhouette, High Key, and Low Key
- Language Support: Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.