Bringing the speed Sony mirrorless shooters have been waiting for, the a9 Mirrorless Camera takes impressive multimedia capabilities and ups the processing capabilities for ultra-fast continuous shooting. Making use of a 24.2MP full-frame Exmor RS stacked CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, the a9 is capable of shooting at up to 20 fps, recording UHD 4K video internally, and shooting with an expanded sensitivity range to ISO 204,800. Balancing the quickness of the processor is a well-matched 693-point phase-detection autofocus system that covers 93% of the image area for accurate and quick subject tracking in a variety of lighting conditions. Additionally, complementing both the imaging and focusing assets, the a9 also sports 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake when shooting handheld.
Matching its professional imaging capabilities is a well-rounded physical construction that is fully weather-sealed for use in trying environmental conditions. For clear, uncompromised viewing, a quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder is featured with an impressive 3.686m-dot resolution and 120 fps refresh rate for clear, bright, and smooth eye-level viewing. Alternatively, a 3.0" 1.44m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD is also available to benefit working from high and low angles. Dual SD memory card slots, a customizable menu system, and a variety of physical control dials further round out the camera's intuitive design, and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enables wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked mobile devices.
24.2MP Full-Frame Exmor RS Stacked CMOS Sensor
BIONZ X Image Processor
693-Point Phase-Detection AF
The apt focus system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy, including Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject, and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus. Additionally, Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes. Autofocus can also be used in conjunction with the Focus Magnifier function for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details.
In addition to autofocus, the a9 also features a Peaking MF function to benefit manual focus control by highlighting sharp edges of contrast for a more objective means of acquiring sharp focus.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
Slow & Quick Motion
Enhanced Zebra Function
Time Code and User Bit Settings
- Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder features a 3.686m-dot resolution and a 0.78x magnification for bright and clear viewing. The EVF also sports a Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating to reduce reflections and a high 120 fps refresh rate can be used to reduce lag for a smoother viewing experience. Additionally, a fluorine coating has been applied to the outermost viewfinder element to benefit cleaning.
- Rear 3.0" 1.44m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD is available for live view shooting and menu navigation. The touchscreen enables Touch Focus for intuitive adjustment of your focus point, and the tilting design benefits working from both high and low angles.
- Dual SD card slots provide a more flexible means for storing files. The lower card slot supports UHS-II type cards, and the slots can be configured to do an in-camera backup, segregated raw/JPEG recording, or overflow saving.
- My Menu function can be used to customize your menu items for easy, direct access with up to 72 options to be set and ordered.
- Stacked drive mode and focus mode dials, a dedicated AF-ON button, and a rear multi-selector all afford greater efficiency when switching focus modes, points, or exposure settings.
- Integrated LAN terminal enables making wired FTP transfers for notably fast transfer speeds. Also, the first three characters of the file name can be customized for easier organization during post-production.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a9 to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
- Magnesium-alloy body design is both lightweight and durable, and also weather-sealed for use in trying environmental conditions.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.