For independent filmmakers, field recordists, podcasters, and Ambisonics enthusiasts who need pristine audio capture of up to four microphones, the Sound Devices MixPre-6 multi-track field recorder is an ideal tool. Record up to six tracks of external sources (four channels via XLR-1/4" combo jacks and two channels via a 3.5mm mini jack) plus a stereo mix at up to 24-bit / 192 kHz, and route the mix to your camera or DSLR while monitoring the stereo mix or separate channels through headphones. Thanks to its handles and integrated 1/4"-20 threads, the MixPre-6 can be placed in a sound bag, attached to a camera/tripod, or even slung from a shoulder/neck strap.
In addition to the large channel knobs and transport controls, a sunlight-readable color touchscreen ensures user-friendly access to all settings. Basic, Advanced, and Custom operating modes allow you to instantly reconfigure the MixPre-6 for different applications, making it equally useful for beginners and experienced professionals. From the four high-gain, low-noise Kashmir mic preamps to the extremely powerful headphone amplifier, everything about the MixPre-6 is optimized for peak audio performance and maximum workflow efficiency. Accurate timecode synchronization and numerous powering options make the MixPre-6 adept at handling the varied demands of modern productions. For enhanced operating convenience, you can control the MixPre-6 wirelessly via the Wingman iOS/Android app or from a compatible USB-connected MIDI controller.
Basic, Advanced, and Custom Operating Modes
Select Advanced mode for access to every customizable setting on the MixPre-6. Veterans can take advantage of complete personalization according to their unique needs. In Advanced mode, the MixPre-6 can record six input channels plus the stereo mix at up to 24-bit / 192 kHz, and gain-staging involves using the menu for preamp gain while the channel knobs determine the mix balance.
Switch to Custom mode to turn different sections of Advanced mode on or off in the user interface for an operating experience that never slows you down.
User Presets for Fast Configuration
Simultaneous 8-Track Recording
Audio Interface Functionality
Four XLR Mic/Line Inputs with Independent Phantom Power
Multifunction 3.5mm Aux/Mic Input
3.5mm Line and Headphone Outputs
Supports SDXC Cards up to 512GB
Powered via Batteries, AC Adapter, or USB
Alternatively, power the MixPre-6 via connection from its USB Type-C socket to one USB Type-C port or two USB Type-A ports on your computer, or to an AC wall adapter equipped with a USB Type-C jack. The MixPre-6 will automatically switch to battery power if USB Type-C powering is interrupted.
Ideal for Sound Bag or Camera-Mount Configurations
Powerful Wireless/Wired External Remote Control
For tactile mixing and transport control, connect a compatible USB MIDI controller such as Korg's nanoKONTROL Studio or nanoKONTROL 2, the Novation Launch Control XL, or the Akai MIDImix.
- Easy configuration—press a channel knob for immediate access to that channel’s settings via the color touchscreen
- Illuminated record, play, and stop buttons
- All inputs fully RF-filtered and overload protected
- Digital output limiters
- Prerecord buffer captures up to five seconds of audio before the record button is pressed
- Up to 30 ms of delay per input for manual phase alignment or lip synchronization for video
- Linkable channels for easy control of gain, fader, limiters, track arming, low-cut filters, and input delay across multiple channels
- Press-and-hold on headphone encoder for fast-speed scrubbing forward or backward
- Supports automatic record start/stop triggering via timecode
- Test tone for synchronizing files in post-production
- Customize names and notes per track
- Dedicated Q icon in home screen for easy creation of up to 99 cue marks per file
- MS decoding function allows proper stereo monitoring of a mid-side mic configuration
- Switchable bell sound in headphones for record and stop operations
- Compatible with USB keyboards for fast track naming