Capture Full HD 1080p video and brilliant still images at depths as great as 200', thanks to the Ikelite Underwater Action Housing and Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Camera Kit from B&H. This package provides everything you need for a video or photo adventure beneath the surface, bundling the durable waterproof enclosure with the advanced, 20MP point-and-shoot digital camera, which features a 24-100mm f/1.8-f/2.8 lens (35mm equivalent) with 4.2x optical zoom. Add a video light or other constant light source to your system to ensure sufficient illumination and color accuracy on cloudy days, and when diving beyond 20' or so on clear, sunny days.
Ikelite Underwater Action Housing for Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Capture HD video and still images at depths as far down as 200' beneath the surface with Ikelite's compact, lightweight Underwater Action Housing for the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera. The enclosure is designed primarily for video recording, as there is no strobe connector and the camera's flash is not accessible. However, quality photos are still possible with an optional constant light source at any depth or with available sunlight down to about 60' underwater.
The housing affords access to important camera functions via ergonomic, mechanical controls, including push buttons and a knurled dial with a small lever. Built for durability, the housing is made in the USA from a corrosion-resistant ABS and polycarbonate blend, which is light gray/white on the front, sides, top, and bottom but clear in the back so you can monitor the O-ring seal and rear camera controls.
The housing features a built-in, flat, optical glass lens port with a 3" diameter. Optional, accessory wide-angle and macro conversion lenses as well as color-correction filters can be attached to the front of the port to enhance your images.
- Features a depth rating of 200'
- Constructed by hand in USA from corrosion-resistant ABS and polycarbonate blend, which is light gray/off-white on front, sides, top, and bottom, but clear in back to allow you to monitor O-ring seal and rear camera controls
- Light gray/off-white color reflects sunlight to keep camera cool when shooting at or above water's surface, and offers better contrast for improved viewing of camera, monitor, and O-ring seal
- Controls made of acetyl plastic
- Compact, lightweight design is well-suited to action video recording and makes for easy storage and transport
- Designed primarily for video recording, as there is no strobe connector and the camera's flash is not accessible
- Quality photos still possible with an optional constant light source at any depth, or with available sunlight down to about 60' underwater
- Many optional lights designed for video and photo capture can be mounted to optional lighting arms for use with housing
- At depths greater than about 60', or when diving in dark conditions, an external light source is necessary to provide adequate illumination and restore colors that get absorbed by water
Controls and Handling
- Affords access to important camera functions via ergonomic, mechanical controls, including push buttons and a knurled dial with a small lever
- Shutter button, power on/off, zoom (wide/telephoto) lever, movie recording button, up/down/left/right controls, manual white balance, FUNC/SET button, playback, erase, and menu are all accessible
- Controls clearly engraved with same symbols that are on camera. Markings will not fade or fall off even after years of use
- Central, bottom-mounted 1/4"-20 threaded hole provides attachment point for optional tray with handles, which improves balance while offering mounting points for lighting arms
- Slightly positive buoyancy in fresh water
- Built-in, flat, optical glass lens port with a scratch-resistant front element, 3" diameter, and 67mm filter thread
- Provides full use of the camera's zoom range without vignetting
- Optional, external, 67mm threaded wide-angle and macro accessory lenses from Ikelite, INON, Epoque, and other manufacturers can be attached directly to front of port
- Wide-angle lenses provide greater angle of coverage to allow you to fit more in frame, while macro lenses magnify your image to enable close-ups with greater clarity and detail
- Both types of conversion lenses get you closer to subjects, reducing amount of water in between you and therefore minimizing distortion
- Wide-angle lenses often result in some vignetting, which can be reduced/eliminated by zooming in, using smaller aperture, or cropping in editing/post-production phase
- Recommended WD-3 Wide-Angle Dome provides mid-range angle of view with no vignetting
- Optional, external color-correction filters, available for tropical blue and green water, can be attached via press-fit method to front of port to restore hues that get absorbed underwater
- Since color filters reduce amount of light that enters lens, they are most effective in sunny conditions at depths of about 80' or less
- Color filters not recommended for use in conjunction with external lighting, as combination can throw off color accuracy in images
- Most wide-angle lenses require a filter with a 3.6" diameter
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera
Blending notable imaging qualities with refined handling, the PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera from Canon is a compact point-and-shoot characterized by its large feature-set. Utilizing a 20.1MP 1" CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor, this camera offers a maximum ISO 12800 in Program mode, and achieves smooth image quality with reduced noise when working in low-light conditions. Additionally, it is also capable of recording stills at up to 8 fps as well as Full HD 1080p60 video. Complementing the sensor and processor combination is a versatile 4.2x zoom lens, which provides a 24-100mm equivalent focal length range, covering wide-angle to short-telephoto perspectives. A fast f/1.8-f/2.8 maximum aperture maintains consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also benefits working in difficult lighting conditions. The lens design is surrounded by a familiar control ring that offers intuitive control over settings, and a large 3.0" 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD provides a natural means for composing imagery from a variety of shooting angles. Additionally, the G7 X Mark II also features built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for wireless sharing of imagery to smartphones or tablets, as well as remote camera control from linked mobile devices.
20.1MP 1" CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 7 Image Processor
In addition to benefitting image quality, the DIGIC 7 processor also enhances focusing speeds and tracking capabilities for maintaining sharp focus on moving subjects, even in low light and low contrast situations. Additionally, the processor also enables Dual Sensing IS that interprets data from imagery in order to intelligently reduce blur caused by camera shake.
4.2x Optical Zoom Lens and Intelligent IS
An Intelligent IS image stabilization system is also incorporated into the lens design to minimize the appearance of camera shake for a variety of shooting scenarios:
- Normal IS: Corrects for a wide variety of camera movement types when shooting stills.
- Panning IS: Intended for use when making tracking shots, this setting ensures that IS will not interfere with desired lateral camera movements.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Used for both stills and video recording, this setting corrects for shift-type camera shake that is common when photographing close-up subjects. It also compensates for motion blur associated with recording video while walking.
- Tripod: Image stabilization is deactivated when shooting stills atop a tripod.
- Dynamic IS: This setting is effective when recording video using wider focal lengths and simultaneously walking or moving.
- Powered IS: Ideally suited for shooting video with telephoto focal lengths, this mode compensates for the camera movements that become more apparent with greater zoom magnifications.
- Active Tripod IS: Unlike the stills tripod mode, this video-specific tripod mode compensates for slight amounts of shake that can be caused when recording movies from a tripod.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A sleek, compact profile incorporates a large 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD that features a 180° upward, 45° downward tilting design to support taking selfies or working from low shooting angles.
- A manual control ring surrounds the lens for intuitive control over select camera and exposure settings. The ring can also be set to have clicked intervals, for tactile recognition of settings changes, or can be de-clicked for smooth, quiet transitions between adjustments.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to wirelessly share your photos and movies with a linked smartphone or tablet as well as remotely control the camera from the mobile device by using the Camera Connect app.
Other Camera Features
- Picture Style affords in-camera control over the color, contrast, and sharpness of imagery.
- In-camera raw file conversions let you preview and apply adjustments to files without needing to process the files on a computer.
- A Time-Lapse Movie function automatically compiles sequentially-recorded images taken at predetermined intervals and composites them into a seamless movie file for smooth playback.
- A dedicated Panning function can lock onto an intended subject and, using image stabilization, automatically adjust the shutter speed to render a sharp moving subject set against a blurred background.