With a shorter snout than the standard model, the Daystar Filters Spotting Scope QUARK H-Alpha Eyepiece Solar Filter is made to fit into spotting scopes that accept conventional 1.25" eyepieces. The shorter snout allows it to sit deeper into spotting scope eyepiece holder so it can achieve the proper focus.
This version is specifically tuned for viewing prominences. Prominences, a detail of the chromosphere projected against the blackness of space behind the sun, are seen with improved contrast due to the filter's narrower bandpass versus a wider bandpass filter tuned for conventional chromosphere surface viewing. Designed as an all-in-one hydrogen-alpha (H-alpha) filter, it is engineered to eliminate unnecessary components which reduces it to a compact form factor. In addition to the tunable H-alpha filter, the Quark also functions as a 4.3x Barlow lens, with a 2-element lens system designed to be telecentric which flattens the field of view and reduces parallax, and optical coatings that are optimized for the 656nm H-alpha wavelength.
While there are no OTA aperture limitations, Daystar recommends the use of UV/IR cut filters or front-mount energy rejection filters on spotters over 80mm of for long-duration solar viewing sessions. The filter is powered via a micro-USB port, and Daystar includes a power cord and an AC adapter to meet the high-power requirements of 5 VDC 1.5A. To enable its use at home and abroad, a set of international outlet plugs is provided with adapters for the US, UK, EU, and Australia.
- Hydrogen-alpha bandpass
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Tuned to 0.8-0.6Å for viewing prominence
- Tuning knob allows for ±0.5Å wing shift for Doppler-shift compensation
- Markers at every 0.1Å for reference and repeatability
- LED indicators for power, warming, ready, and fault
- Integrated 4.3x Barlow lens
- Lens and optical coatings designed specifically for 656nm H-alpha wavelength
- Two-element telecentric lens design keeps light waves parallel to flatten the field of view and reduce parallax as magnification increases
Recommended Spotting Scope Specifications
- Fits spotting scopes that accept standard 1.25" eyepieces
- Will NOT work on spotting scopes with proprietary eyepiece bayonet mounts
- No aperture limitation
- For apertures over 80mm (3.1"), or for long-duration solar viewing, a UV/IR cut filter or ERF should be used to prevent over-heating of the optics
- 5 VDC, 1.5A micro-USB port
- 90-240 VAC wall adapter
- Set of international outlet plugs for US, UK, EU, and Australia